1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Drive does NOT detect my blank cd's. Nero caused it...

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by petjelly, Jun 28, 2006.

1. syxguns

syxguns Active member

petjelly
    From what I can see of your log everything is clean. I asked another gentleman to look at it also, but he has not had the time. Now I have a couple of questions for you, and then we can get back to the root of your problem. You may remove HJT if you are uncomfortable with it on your system.

1) Can you boot in safe mode?
    2) If you can did you run a scan disk & drefrag the hard drive?

If you haven't done this please do so then we will get back to the route of your problem

Let me know your progress.

2. petjelly

petjelly Member

1) Can you boot in safe mode?
    2) If you can did you run a scan disk & drefrag the hard drive?

Yes I did.(you want me to do that in safe mode?does it matter?) I notice when you had me get rid of those files. My downloads are soo much faster! incredible. A 20 min clip only took me a 1 minute to download. Before you had me delete those files it would take me 15 minutes or 8 minutes. my downloads are pretty fast cause i have comcast internet but i have never seen them that fast. Computer seem to be working nice. However my drive still does not detect any blank cd's :(.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

@ petjelly

Well, if you already ran scan disk and defrag in regular mode that is fine. You should try to run those at least once a month. Remember all the things I had you do so that you may keep your computer running at top performance. Once a week in safe mode run your Ad-Aware and your anti-virus software. Make sure you have the latest updates for both.

I am going to look at what has been done on this thread and then get back with you. Let me know your drive make and model. Do you have the original driver CD? I may have to walk you through a registry clean. Even though there are programs for it what we need to remove is all of Nero (if that is the case). Before we do that I am going to walk you through a couple of maintenance checks. We need to make sure your drive has the proper driver.

Like I said, give me a little time to read the post that you have received and I will get back to you.

Glad your computer is running well!

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

@ petjelly

Okay, I've read what has been done. We need to do a couple of things first. Put a music CD or DVD in the drive and let me know if it plays.

If the drive will play them then I know it's your Nero. If it won't play them then I'll know if it is your driver.

All that was mentioned was that it won't accept the disk when trying to burn so I am just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Are you familiar with the device manager? Some people get this confused with the control panel. If you are not familiar just let me know and I will give you step by step instruction

5. petjelly

petjelly Member

"Okay, I've read what has been done. We need to do a couple of things first. Put a music CD or DVD in the drive and let me know if it plays."

It wont detect anything that insert(music cd's,burned cd's,blank cd's) It's my driver.

Device manageR???? im not familiar with.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Okay to access the device manager you need to right click My Computer and select properties. You will find the device manager there. Look at your drive and see if it has an "!" beside it. If it does then by highlighting the item you can tell it to update driver.

If you have the original driver you might want to tell windows to use the location of your cd drive or floppy. If you do not have the original XP should have one that works.

If it does not have an "!" beside it or a "?" then do the following.
    Highlight the item and select remove. Then restart your machine and allow windows to find a driver for the device. [bold]**Just so you know the "!" means that the item is not configured properly and the "?" means that it does not have the correct driver installed.[/bold]

Let me know what happens. If you need a little more explanation let me know.

7. petjelly

petjelly Member

drivers are perfectly fine. i dont see "?" "!"....

by the way... driver still does not detect anything....
    this is frustating :(

do you suggest that i get a new driver? or is this fixable?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The first thing that I want you to do is to remove the drive from the device manager.

Example: In the device manager list highlight the drive and then select the Uninstall button. Don't worry, after you reboot your computer it will detect a new device. When you re-install the new device the first time let Windows do it for you. Let it search the Internet if it needs to. After the new driver is installed test it. If the drive still does not work then remove it again, and this time put in your driver that came with the device.

I inserted this picture to illustrate what I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

If this doesn't work then I'm afraid that the drive is failed. You will have to replace it. I hope this works. Let me know the outcome.

9. petjelly

petjelly Member

"and this time put in your driver that came with the device."

??? what. so im gonna remove the driver. reboot my pc. then test the new automatic installed driver by windows. if that doesnt work...then do what? driver that came with the device. im afraid i dont understand.

10. petjelly

petjelly Member

i uninstalled it. rebooted. still... does not detect anything. i tried troubleshooting this problem. it asked me this...

Are you having a problem with a SCSI device?
    Some hardware devices use a Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) connection to communicate with your computer.

This type of hardware is less common than IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) hardware. If you do not know whether you are using a SCSI device or not, you are probably not using one. Check your documentation to be sure.

With a SCSI connection, you can connect multiple devices to a single adapter in your computer. The SCSI devices are linked together, forming a "chain." Up to 16 SCSI devices, including the SCSI adapter, can be connected to your computer.

If the device that you are having a problem with uses a SCSI connection, the problem might lie in the SCSI adapter, the chain of SCSI devices, or a conflict with another device on the chain.

Are you having a problem with a SCSI device?

.... i dont know if i have one or not.

11. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Ok we are going to do something a little more technical. First I want you to make sure the device is removed from the control panel. Then I want you to turn off the computer. Open the computer. [bold](make sure you touch something metal to eliminate any static discharge!!)[/bold] Disconnect the drive in the back. The connection will be the IDE cable. You do not have to disconnect the power supply unless it is in your way. You also do not have to remove the drive from the case. All we are doing is disconnecting the IDE cable.

Reboot the system. Now the computer when it reboots will not recognize the drive because it is non-existent. Double check the control panel to make sure it is not listed. Then shut down the computer. When you shut down the computer will save the current settings.

Now reconnect the drive or the IDE cable (and power if you had to disconnect it). Now reboot and the machine should recognize new hardware. Let Windows search for the driver. Test it and see if it works.

If it doesn't work the other driver I was referring to came with the drive either on a floppy (old news) or a CD. You do not have to disconnect again, just go to the control panel and tell it to update the driver. You may have to point to the place where the driver is located. For instance it may have a Win98 folder, WinNT folder, etc. You will need to point to that folder and then to drivers folder. Computers are smart as the people that manufacture them. If the computer does not know where to search it will give you an error.

I hope this made a little more since! Good luck.

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

13. petjelly

petjelly Member

Download, update & run in this order.
    check---ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
    check---cwshredder http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html

all ready had this on my pc---check---Ad-Aware se
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-...

check---Spybot s&d http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html
    online virus & spyware scan

???----http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp
    this one is giving me a real hard time. first time i tried it froze up. 2nd time i try it said slow connection. 3rd time i try it said cd is not inserted in drive A: when i clicked on "full pc scan"...4th time i try to do it i lost my internet page(vanished)...please tell me i dont have to do this. house call sucks lol

ok... so after doing everything else except for housecall i did the hijack scan. BTW do you want my ad aware scan log? also i like the spybot scan program. It discovered 94 problems on my pc such as...

advertising.com 7 entries
    altnet 1 entries
    altlevents.atlevents 2
    entries
    avenue a,inc 1 entries
    bd internet billing 2 entries
    bearshare 7 entries
    casalemedia 1 entries
    clearsearch.net 6 entries
    coolwwwsearch.badzonemap 2 entries
    doubleclick 2 entries
    effectivebandtoolbar 1 entries
    funwebproducts 1 entries
    gain.gator 13 entries
    hitbox 6 entries
    huntbar 1 entries
    isearchtech.powerscan 1 entries
    look2me.topconverting 6 entires
    mediaplex 2 entries
    myway.mybar 2 entires
    myway.mywebsearch 3 entries
    network essentials.smartpops 1 entries
    newdotnet 7 entries
    psgaurd 5 entries
    search-system 3 entries
    spyonthis 9 entries
    teslaplus.com 1 enties
    virtual bouncer 1 entries

everything was removed except for psgaurd and coolwwwsearch.badzonemap. i rebooted my pc after that did another scan. only had 9 problems and none of them were psgaurd or coolwwwsearch.badzonemap so im assuming it was taken care of cause the 9 problems were fixed. also the CWShredder found CWS.Msconfig. How do i get rid of it?

so heres.. hijack log. BTW i appreciate the help. you guys are great.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 1:04:05 AM, on 7/18/2006
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\WinAce\WinAce.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\~AceTemp\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://search-system.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/ymsgr6/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus.../*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr7/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr7/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by CenturyTel
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = 221.10.124.34:8080
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 221.10.124.34:8080:0
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: nu.com
    O1 - Hosts: nu.com
    O1 - Hosts: .whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: .whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: c.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: c.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: nc.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: nc.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: inc.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: inc.whenu.com
    O1 - Hosts: m
    O1 - Hosts: om
    O1 - Hosts: om
    O1 - Hosts: com
    O1 - Hosts: com
    O1 - Hosts: .com
    O1 - Hosts: d.com
    O1 - Hosts: d.com
    O1 - Hosts: nd.com
    O1 - Hosts: nd.com
    O1 - Hosts: ind.com
    O1 - Hosts: ind.com
    O1 - Hosts: find.com
    O1 - Hosts: find.com
    O1 - Hosts: yfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: yfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: tyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: tyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: styfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: estyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: estyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: .zestyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: .zestyfind.com
    O1 - Hosts: .offeroptimizer.com
    O1 - Hosts: so.offeroptimizer.com
    O1 - Hosts: 1
    O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.
    O1 - Hosts: 1 www.z
    O1 - Hosts: ar.com
    O1 - Hosts: lbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: oolbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: rtoolbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: 127.0.
    O1 - Hosts: sertoolbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: owsertoolbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: 127
    O1 - Hosts: 2.browsertoolbar.com
    O1 - Hosts: ww2.browsertoolbar.com
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*tcpiis] C:\WINDOWS\system32\1028\tcpiis.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*jpegdb] C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\jpegdb.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*utilvss] C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\utilvss.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*crbak] C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\crbak.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*expdrv] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Microsoft\expdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*urlsvc] C:\WINDOWS\security\Database\urlsvc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*mckey] C:\WINDOWS\Config\mckey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*urljava] C:\WINDOWS\addins\urljava.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*logbas] C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files\logbas.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*psvss] C:\WINDOWS\Config\psvss.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*xmltask] C:\WINDOWS\msagent\xmltask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [*mfcac] C:\WINDOWS\Web\mfcac.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://ka.bar.need2find.com/KA/menusearch.html?p=KA
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windupdates.com
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1137192597396
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: dbcab - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\bacbd.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: dosreg - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\gersod.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: hardcat - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\tacdrah.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: liburl - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\lrubil.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: msvcabr - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\rbacvsm.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: runun - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\nunur.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: svcjava - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\avajcvs.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: svrvss - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\ssvrvs.dat
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: wintask - C:\DOCUME~1\tami\LOCALS~1\Temp\ksatniw.dat
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

OK. We're starting to look a lot better. My main objective is to first get rid of all the malware within your system. I'm glad to hear SpyBot discovered so many things.

Housecalls is the best on line scanner. Just for my future knowledge, did you try the ActiveX or Java version? Sorry that it gave you problems. Let's try another before we go any farther. Try this one: http://www.pandasoftware.com/produc...5D4-4DA2-B310-B1DBEC2971F2}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Post back a HiJack This! log when completed or if you have more problems with the on-line scan.

Other things I noticed:
    1> Internet Explorer is out of date. I noticed that you have FireFox installed, is that your default browser? If it isn't, you need to update Explorer.

2> It seems that you don't use an anti-virus scanner or your scanner is not active. Only an anti-virus scanner can protect you against new viruses.

3>There isn't any active process of a firewall on your system. Reasons maybe:
    (1.) You are using the windows firewall or a hardware firewall.
    (2.) You are using a firewall of an unknown vendor.
    (3.) You are using a firewall, but for unknown reasons it is disabled
    (4.) You don't use any firewall at all.
    I recommend you use a firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  15. petjelly

petjelly Member

"We're sorry. ActiveScan requires the browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later version"

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan?NRMODE=Published...
    ^when i click on link i then click on scan now. and it tells me this...."We're sorry. ActiveScan requires the browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later version"

so i gotta update internet explorer...how? i use mozilla. you say im not using a firewall. but i am. i think im using two firewalls. windows firewall and mozillas firewall. i just enabled it couple of days ago.

"It seems that you don't use an anti-virus scanner or your scanner is not active. Only an anti-virus scanner can protect you against new viruses."

i use ad-aware se. ive been using it for a while.

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

@ petjelly
    Ad-Aware SE is not a anti-virus. You may need to get one. One location is download.com look for AVG free. This will give you the protection dolphin2 is refering to.

17. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Open Internet Explorer and goto the Microsoft Update site. Install all updates. Then go back to the on-line scans and run them with Explorer (not Mozilla).

Windows firewall is very weak. Not good protection as it only works one way. Mozilla's firewall is only active when Mozilla is open. Again, not good protection. There are several good free firewall programs that you could use.

Ad-Aware isn't an anti-virus program as syxguns said.

Get these few things sorted out and then we can get rid of the rest of malware on your system. When that is all gone, then we'll work on the CD/DVD problems. While I know this wasn't your problem to begin with, we need to take care of the most important things first.

18. petjelly

petjelly Member

Ok. im trying to update my internet explorer(Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1)

its been trying to initializing setup for installation for the last hour. im about to abort cause i don't think its doin anything.

[​IMG]

19. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

20. syxguns

syxguns Active member

@ dolphin2-
    I don't know if it matters but according to the picture petjelly shows she is not using IE. Wouldn't that cause conflict trying to download IE updates? I wouldn't think it should for the windows updates.

@ petjelly
    IE now has a new version with tab surfing. You might update your IE to that version. I like it better than Firfox.