1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my drive wont read blank cdrw please help

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by thestien, Dec 3, 2004.

1. thestien

thestien Guest

i insert the disk and it does nothing its so annoying ive got xp and nero 6 i had five but it said there was a problem so i got 6 and it still dont work

2. ravengirl

ravengirl Member

I have the same problem with my eMachine. I also have Windows XP and Nero 6... I can play CDs from the drive, no problem. But if I want to burn a CD, Nero (or any other program) will not acknowldege the blank CD in the drive. It keeps asking me to insert a CD because the drive is empty...but it is not.

eMachine customer service is HORRIBLE and expensive. I am hoping someone here can help me.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

An easy first step would be to uninstall the drive through Device Manager:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

4. ravengirl

ravengirl Member

thanks for your reply. yeah, the online tech at eMachines had me do that, but it did not resolve the issue. the customer service at eMachines is HORRIBLE and after an expensive one-hour long distance phone call, I'm being told I need to restore my machine (ie wipe everything off of it and start from square one) and then discuss this with tech before they will even consider sending me a new drive. Of course the problem is, I have hundreds of megs worth of files I need to save first before doing that...but I cannot burn files...

if the drive is indeed defective, then why can it read CDs and DVDs. The only thing it cannot do is read blank CDs...I'm thinking thtere has GOT to be an easier solution here.

5. Nephilim

Whatever you do don't wipe your whole system just to get a drive working. It's not surprising that some retard tech who wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground would recommend something like that.

If I was in your shoes I'd first take the drive out and try it in another PC to check how it functions. If it works fine in the other PC then we can start looking at some other possibilities within your system. If it won't acknowledge a blank in the other PC then we may want to try a firmware flash and if that doesn't work it may save you time and aggravation to just pick up a new drive. You honestly can't do better than a Lite-On 52327S or Asus 5232AS either of which are great drives and go for around $30 but it's your call ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  6. ravengirl

ravengirl Member

thanks, Nephilim... you are so right about the tech. He even suggested backing up data on floppy discs, after I told him I had hundreds of megs worth of files (flash animation flas). He said yeah it will take a lot of floppies...

I'm sure my phone bill from that tech call will cost more than the $30 for a new drive. I may just end up buying one and not bothering with the messed up eMachine return/exchange policy. Thanks for the recommendations. I will try the drive on another computer and will probably end up buying a new one.

7. Nephilim

I'd still try the drive in another PC to make sure it's not something to do with your system but we definitely think alike when it comes to dealing with tech support :)

8. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

It's like I have always beleived, no major company has real customer support, just some suggestions from some guy who was only told basically what it was he is offering help for. Then they pretty much just wing it from there. That floppies thing made me laugh. Obviously this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

9. ravengirl

ravengirl Member

Here is my followup: I bought a CD-RW drive and yes it works (thank God, finally I can back up my files) so the drive that came with my eMachine is obviously defective.

Thanks Nephilim for your help. I should have skipped the lousy expensive customer service and gone straight here. :)

10. Nephilim

It was my pleasure and don't be a stranger :)