1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dvd backups wont play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dzltec, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Dzltec

Dzltec Guest

Hi all, after much reading i bought a liteone 451. I have shrink 3.1.4, record now dx. After i backed up two movies, neither would play in my sony standalone, but one would replay in the computer dvd, this was a liteon dvd-r, the other is a matco dvd-r. I have followed the guides from here to the letter. Is this a media problem or a sony problem? No errors or faults were reported at time of burning. Any help would be aprreciated as i dont want to keep making coasters.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dzltec,

Start with 2 things, first look at your mfg specs to see if the type of disks you are using will play in your DVD player. Older players won't play all media and most players won't play RW media at all -

Second, try a name brand media, Ritek or Verbatim are good -

Use this tool to see how your player is doing -

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Pete

3. Dzltec

Dzltec Guest

thanks for the reply. I tested with dvdinfopro, the disc that would play was error free, the other wasn't. I even found a dvd that was smaller than a blank disc, did two burns, one with shrink, the other with decrypter. Neither would play on the liteon dvd. I guess its a media issue.

Thanks for your help.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dzltec,

Sounds like you're right - try Ritek Brand -

an AD sponsor, Mertline has excellent prices :)

"P"

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'll second that !! Ritek G04 to be specific at that ;)

With Ritek G03 discs it is known that under certain/differing firmware that there is a hit & miss success rate at maximum burn speed , even though it is a good dye [just needs slower write]

6. Dzltec

Dzltec Guest

After some more trials, I can say it must be media. Tdk -r and -rw wont work, only the 2 liteon discs +r and -r that came with the dvd will play back, still wont on stand alone. I get a disc dirty error.
    Who makes the ritek discs? I even tried with nero demo version.
    Thanks for your help. This is getting frustrating when i can see others having no problems.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ritek makes and sells 50% of all the discs in the market !

"P"