1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DVD read times have gone from 15 min to 1 hr

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by beastgre, Jan 12, 2005.

1. beastgre

beastgre Member

What is my problem, my DVD rom used to take around 15 min to read a movie when I make a backup, now it takes an hour or more. Is it the new copyguards on the movies or has my DVD player taken a dump? I have got an Asus 616p player, which will read + and -, do I need to get new firmware?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Check the IDE channels in device manager. Be certain that data is transfered using DMA not PIO. Check the primary and secondary channels.

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Try a de-frag as well, I have the same dvd rom, no problems.

gringle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2005
  4. beastgre

beastgre Member

Jim Dandy, I checked the IDE mode it was set to run on PIO mode. I put the setting on Ultra DMA if available but it will not reset even after a reboot.I checked the BIOS setting and it is set to auto detection, there is no setting that will force a DMA only setting (Asus A8V 64bit).

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Uninstall the drivers,reboot and that should fix you up.
    Have a look at this,if you have doubts:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

"For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device".

good luck
    jim

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. beastgre

beastgre Member

Thanks again Jim Dandy, you've been very informative,I will change the settings as soon as I get home from work.