1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DVD-RW disks work gread. DVD-R goes chopy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cramenda, Jan 15, 2004.

1. cramenda

cramenda Member

'lo all.

Great forum. I have a q for all you gurus to ponder. I am able to make sucessful back ups of several of my purchased DVD's. Using Xmen2 as an example, I am able to use DVD xcopy to create a "movie only" back up and using Roxio 6.0 to make sucessfull burns. However, as a test I have been burning onto a DVD-RW disk that plays great in my KOSS DVD player (attached to my TV set), no problems. Happy as a lark I now record using the same process except to a DVD-R disk. Granted the DVD-R is a bargain basement brand (Legacy) but when I play the movie, around chapter 26 (approx 2/3 into the movie) I get choppy pictures, freezing, chapter skipping (that I didn't prompt) large blocks of missing picture or green blocks. That sort of thing. Any ideas why my DVD-RW's work 100% and my DVD-R almost work?

Thanks in advance...

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi cramenda,
    Try the same burn with some better media and your problem will most likely be solved.
    Good media is not cheap so buy just a few to experiment with.
    Make sure your source disc is in good shape.
    So you are putting the movie on the hard drive with xcopy and then burning it with Roxio? Why don't you use xcopy for the burn as well?
    I would suggest a change of programs: DVD Shrink 3.1.2 (free) and Nero 6 (30 day demoversion).
    If you do decide to use these programs, use Nero's registry checker and drive cleaner utility first:

http://www.nero.com/us/631938356417810.html

then the Nero 6 ultra demoversion:

http://www.nero.com/us/631898252770313.html

Download DVD Shrink 3.1.2 at the Afterdawn software page and then read the guides at:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

good luck,
    Frank
    _
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i would also suggest getting rid of xcopy. have heard alot of people having success with rw and not r, and as fasfrank said, you could try better media.

4. cramenda

cramenda Member

Fasfrank,

Thanks for the good advice I'll certainly try that. Part of the reasone I bought the cheaper media is because the good stuff IS so expensive. But then again, so are cheap coasters (grin). Is there a particular brand name DVD-R that you've had sucess with? Thanks again for the fast post.

5. cramenda

cramenda Member

Sly,

I think your right. After discovering your forum I've managed to DL AnyDVD V3.2.1.1, Nero 6.0 and of course DVD Shrink V3.1. I think I'll give this combo a try with some different media. I shall hence forth excise all xcopy from my system. Pitching it out the virtual window as it were. Thanks for the post. It's nice to have practical feedback from guys that have chewed the same dirt...

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi all,
    I use Memorex 4X +R. I'm not much of a shopper and just buy 'em at Office Depot. Buying good media cures many burn problems before they occur. It takes no computer skills, just a few more coins.
    While I'm at it, let me urge you to become a disc inspector!
    Clean your source movie discs and look at 'em under a good light. I use glass cleaner and a soft towel, then a blast of canned air.
    Don't use paper towels.The windscreen (Lexan) on my bike gets scratched by paper towels so the same would hold true for a DVD.
    If I see a scratch I will be expecting a "cyclic redundancy" error from Shrink. DVD Decrypter may overcome this.
    Just some thoughts,
    Frank

7. cramenda

cramenda Member

'lo all

Fasfrank,

I'm curious why you are using DVD+R media. I suppose it doesn't matter if it's only for your computer as most DVD drives play both. The research I've done suggests that the trend may be leaning more towards -R media?

P.s. My buddy owns an 83 Katana, the kind with the pop up head light. I've opened it up, still an amazing ride. Sorry, not a bike forum I know but I wanted to squeeze that in. All DVD enthusiasts, please disregard the last 3 sentences. DVD's rule! (Grin)

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well I bought a Pioneer A-06 dual format 4X burner so I went in search of 4X media. I went to my local Office Depot and all I could find was 2X -R media, but they had the Memorex 4X +R there and on sale. So I bought it. It plays in everything I've tried it in, and no media induced coasters. I even put labels on 'em. I'm not taking sides, but just sticking with what works for me.

Kats are Kool,
    Bikes are what I do when when the weather warms up a bit, though I did go for a ride today! Much funner than watching movies or burning DVDs but Im less likley to get killed unless my burner explodes :D

9. leahna

leahna Member

hi - im new to all of this - just wondering - if i was using nero do i use dvdr disks or dvdrw?

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi leahna,

Nero doesn't care what blank media format you use, its your burner and DVD player that need to be checked for compatability.

If you have a dual format burner, then you can burn -R, -R/W or +R, +R/W discs.

Just make sure to use quality media, not the cheap stuff.

I would recommend starting out with R/W media so if there is a mistake or other problem with your burn you can use the disc again.

Frank

11. leahna

leahna Member

Thanks for replying Frank - thought nobody loved me! I just bought disks dvd-r and dvd-rw - see i don't have a dvd burner. can i cheat using my cd re writer and some downloadable software?

12. leahna

leahna Member

ps Frank - its playing them on my home dvd player that im trying to do

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

So you want to burn DVDs with your CD burner, eh? Are you sure?
    Take your DVDs back for a refund, your CD burner can't burn DVDs
    Now instead of one or two programs, you will need three or four.
    Use this guide to help you burn a movie onto three or four CDs:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_guide.cfm

I recommend the purchase of a DVD burner if you can afford one. BTW what is your system's specifications? (CPU, RAM, HDD, OS) Makes it a lot easier to sort things out when these things are known.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Get rid of roxio, xcopy WILL do X-men2. You may have media/software/hardware problems. Make sure you have no conflicting software, media is a problem most people have - you have to experiment -, a good dvdburner is also req'd. Just having some software installed can & will screw up burning for you! The only way is to find the above which suits your system & your needs. What's right for you may not be right for other people & vice-versa. You need to decide what you want your system to do, then decide on the appropriate combination of the aforementioned items. Dvd burning I have found can be rewarding & also very frustrating!

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

By the way, I use dvdx copy platinum & it works fine. I also use anydvd software, I find that my system/software etc works with incredibly good results everytime.

16. leahna

leahna Member

Just bought a dvd burner! There goes all the household bills! Its sony - havent a clue what im doing but i think its burning something - the light is going on and off anyway!

17. leahna

leahna Member

Hi everyone (esp Frank) i think someting is happening - i chose about 5 music videos to burn - i'll let you know if it works