1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DVD writer just wont write

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HelloGuy, Dec 25, 2004.

1. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

i have a pioneer DVR-108... i used dvd shrink to shrink a dvd-9 to dvd-5 then i tried to burn the ISO file onto my DVD using nero burning rom and also dvddecrypter.. they both wrote a label on the dvd (thereby putting data on it) but thats it.. so now i have 2 coasters and no burnt DVD.. it just wont write anything, it just sits there.. what is going on?

2. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

doest get past "writing lead-in"... wtf?

3. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

get some rw's so you don't waste any more discs.Use these until you get the burning issue fixed.

You said you were trying to burn your ISO to your disc. Usually i rip mine to the harddrive with dvd shrink, then have nero enabled to automatically pull out the files to burn.

I don't use dvd decrypter, It is mainly for the problematic dvd's like bourne conspiracy and other weird encrypted movies.

What brand of media are you using?

5. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

i tried with TDK and Verbatim... i did burn it to my harddrive then tried to burn it, that didnt work.. ugh, this is frustrating

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Looks like your media might be ok. Verbatim is made by several manufacturers using the verbatim brand name.The tdk's are same way.Download this handy program:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

This will tell you who made those discs.like ricohjpno1,mcc002,mcc003,cmags,etc.

Check all your settings.Keep the burnspeed down-4x is the max,till you get her straight.

Now can you explain your whole process?

We are snowed in so I haven't got anything to do. Later

7. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

basically i am starting up dvd shrink.. taking out all the useless languages and then backing it up into an ISO which is around 4.4 gigs... i then start up nero ultra then choose burn image file.. then i change the speed to 4x, and press burn.. then it starts burning but never really does anything

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

go into shrink,edit,preferences,set custom target size to 4300 mbs.

go into shrink,edit,file I/O, tick enable burn with nero. You are taking main movie only,hit backup,after you hit back up,recheck your settings, as soon as you hit ok,dvd shrink will start the process. After encoding, shrink will pull these files automatically for nero to burn.No extra steps are necessary.

I am not familiar with nero ultra. Dvd shrink works with nero 6.0 up through 6.6 including the express.Maybe the nero ultra is messing you up. Try to uninstall nero ultra and reinstall the trial version of nero 6.6 .This is free,30 day trial.

9. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

did everything you said.. damn thing still wont burn... anyone else have any suggestions? are there some device settings or something i should check on? i know there has got to be more than one person on here who can help, honestly.

10. huntert

huntert Guest

Many people like to use nero. I prefer to use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. I think that nero is very versatile but i don't think that nero is very user friendly.

11. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

come on people, speak up... i dont know how to troubleshoot this.. why the hell cant i burn anything?

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

will your pioneer let you burn a regular audio cd?

13. kchev

kchev Regular member

can you burn a full regular data dvd? if so, then it is not media or burner

also I don't burn the images with mine I do them as saugmon said
    I let shrink create VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and put the files in them and either burn them with nero myself or let shrink automatically start burning with nero for me

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  14. Penders5

Penders5 Guest

I agree with ALL Saugmon said...step by step they are telling you straight.
    If DVD Shirk is set up to auto burn with Nero...then it should. I also agree about ultra possibly being your problem.
    DVD Shirk combined with Nero is ALL you need..nothing more.

15. HelloGuy

HelloGuy Member

i uninstalled nero ultra and installed the demo of nero 6, i used dvd decrypter to extract the 8 gig ISO then used dvd shrink to shrink it down to 4.3 gigs. I then tried nero to burn the image and it just sits there. I tried to burn a regular data/audio CD and it also failed, it started to write, wrote a couple files and then froze up... any more suggestions before i sell this thing?

16. kchev

kchev Regular member

can you post an error log?