1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dvd2one compressed TOO much!

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Neromania, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Neromania

Neromania Regular member

I tried to compress dvd2one to fit one dvd-r. BuT, it got compressed to 3.22 gb, any ideas why this is???

2. AND1

AND1 Guest

Which movie was it. Lets say for example to have a movie thats 3.75 GB the entire disc but you don't know. If you put it in DVD2one. I does not touch it since its less then 4.36.

3. Neromania

Neromania Regular member

I put in Evolution....it HAD to be split into 2 IF using DVDxCOPY as the movie itself was 5.5 GB. So i compressed it using dvd2one but it came out to a final size of 3.22 gb. I dont understand this.

4. Oldmike

Oldmike Guest

NeroMania,

I think what's happening is that the movie itself remains uncompressed, but that you elected to keep, say, only the 6-channel AC3 English audio, but no subtitles etc. DVD2one strips out the stuff you don't want, which results in a smaller aggregate file size than you'd get by leaving all the extras in.

Whatcha think?

5. Neromania

Neromania Regular member

WOW, an excellent theory, u know the ONLY thing i keep is the first english track and NOTHING else...maybe u r right! i just did Unbreakable with dvd2one with ONLY the first 6ch english track..and it came out to 4.2 gb.

6. Oldmike

Oldmike Guest

Speaking of stripping stuff out of a movie, here's a question: If you left two audio tracks, English and Spanish, and kept Danish subtitles, how would you access them in the final DVD if there are no menus for setup etc? I don't want to burn a disk that way to find out, so it's really a matter of academic curiosity.

7. freeop

freeop Member

Oldmike,

I did this exact thing you mentioned last night. I ripped Spykids 2, for backup purposes, and left the subtitles in.

After using Dvd2one and selecting all the available options along with selecting the subtitles, I processed, burned and played back on my stand-alone DVD player. On my player I have a button on the remote that turns off and on the subtitles. I pressed that and the subtitles came up without a problem.

As for other language subtitles, which I did not include, I would guess that I could cycle each of the different subtitles that was available. As when I push the button once the English Subtitles come up, and if I had left the Spanish subtitles on, if I pressed the button again the Spanish subtitles would come up.

But to answer you original question, at least on my DVD player, I can use the DVD player to select the subtitles.

8. Oldmike

Oldmike Guest

I thought it might be something like that. I've seen the buttons on my own remote -- the same must apply to language tracks. Thanks for your input. Since I take only the movie and English audio, I didn't want to fool with it.

9. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

If you have ripped all the streams for audio and subs, they will all be selectable when you open up in DVD2ONE. Only the ones you want will be included, therefore the final size of the DVD will be smaller, which can result in less need for compression (therefore less quality drop) in the final edit.

Example, DVD is 8GB total, with menus etc.
    Just the movie with all streams is 6.5GB
    Just the movie with one audio track is 5.5GB
    The final output will be 4.36, but only reduced by just over a GB using compression, because you have not selected all audio/subs.

These figures vary for each movie, of course, but it is how you can end up with a movie that will actually be smaller than 4.36 GB after processing, as you wil have removed unused streams. This is how the example above happened (although size of DVD also depends on length of movie, of course).

REgarding the subs, these cannot be accessed via the menu, because (he he) there is no menu, which is no problem as you have a subtitle button on your remote which will select them for you. They will be 2 or 3 letter code, EN for Enclish CZ for Czech FN for Finnish, etc etc.

Paul.