1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Strazza, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i have a max budget of $1000 but would prefer to keep the price around $900. i'm starting completely from scratch. i don't even have a keyboard and mouse lol.
    being able to play games would be nice but it's definitely not the most important thing. i'm more interested in just having a PC that doesn't frustrate me by freezing every couple of minutes.
    i've had a bit of a look around sites like newegg but as this is my first time building a pc i'm not sure what to look for.
    what should i do to squeeze the most out of my budget?
    oh and i live in australia so could someone advise me on a good and credible place to order parts from.
    edit: my budget is in american dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  2. ugc

ugc Regular member

in my opinion, if you have a limited amount you are wanting to spend, you would be better off buying a system all ready put together.

if you build it yourself, by the time you got all the hardware together, you need software to run it, and that is just more money.

and buying everything a piece at a time usually cost more.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

I added up everything listed and it totals 978.93 before shipping. Plus, the case listed does not include a power supply.

In addition, you need an OS.

So, things to think about before you make your own, or get one ready to go.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. I'll wait back for a reply from Strazza before I know where he wants to spend less or more.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes well the OS is free. He could downgrade a few things to meet his budget. No matter what a custom build is always worth more for your money.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed.

8. Strazza

Strazza Guest

thanks for the replies guys.
    i definitely want to try building my own PC. it's a lot more interesting than just walking into a computer shop and handing over some cash. then there's all the things you learn while trying something new.

i think the monitor might be overkill for what i'm looking for but other than that, the setup that sammorris suggested looks great. one of my friends said that i can have his old keyboard and mouse so that will cut a few dollars off the overall price.

i think i should be able to get an adequate monitor for around $200. so, minus the keyboard and mouse, and with a slightly cheaper monitor the cost comes to $810.95 which leaves a little more room for the power supply and shipping.

any recommendations on a psu? i've read that making the wrong decision here can be the death of your whole computer... thats not something i want to happen.

i will easily be able to get an OS and most of the software i need for free so there's no problem there. i was even thinking about going with linux this time but i guess thats a little off topic.

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

any corsair psu unit; 520HX or 520VX. the HX costs more because it's a modular psu (only use the cables you need), but you can keep the inside of the case nice and tidy.

10. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Or you could try a dual boot. Nice setup but the monitor is a bit over top for a budget build. I would suggest a wide screen 19" from same mfg or acer.
    Suggestions:
    Get Intel C2D, at least 2gb ram if running vista (1 for XP suggest strongly here), good price for 500 gb drive (I have it), Sapphire cards arent bad get at least gddr3 memory, stick with logitech on mouse and keyboard if possible.

@sam
    Nice setup though!!!

edit: 520 hx is nice psu I use it too!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree on the corsair power supplies, though the VX are only offered in 450W and 550W versions, not 520, before you wonder why you can't find one! lol

I'd avoid using a) a 19" monitor and b) one by acer. Sorry to reject both suggestions, but the resolution of 20" monitors is far higher for not a huge cost difference, and the build quality of acer monitors has been a bit suck in my experience. Go with a proper make, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic or Dell.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Strazza, where are you getting these parts from?

13. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i'll probably be getting most of my parts from local computer stores. hopefully if they don't have something in stock they'll be able to order it in for me. failing that, there's ebay or i'll try to find a reliable internet shop that delivers to australia.
    if i can't get something from any of the above, i guess i could make a trip to melbourne (big australian city for those that don't know).

for a PSU i think i'll go with the corsair 550VX simply because it's cheaper. i don't mind that it has to be outside the case and i assume that it would make it easier to keep everything cool.

i had a look at sapphire video cards and found this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715
    the specs look good for the price but a lot of the user reviews say that it gets far too hot.
    do you think that this one would be better or the one that sammorris suggested?

do i need to get a sound card as well?

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You just have to turn up the fan speed. I have the same card and it doesn't get that hot.

The PSU doesn't have to be outside of the case. Who told you that?

15. Strazza

Strazza Guest

woops, misread one of the above posts.

so you think that getting the sapphire card is a better deal?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think the 3850 512MB version is the best card you can get as far as bang for buck goes.

17. papola

papola Member

I have an Acer 22in widescreen, haven't had any problems with quality. Infact I really like this monitor. If you are using your PC for regular use, I recommend this brand for their good prices.

18. Strazza

Strazza Guest

good. i'll get that video card then.

other than price, what's the difference between the C2D series and the Dual Core series?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016
    this one is $199.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052
    this one that sammorris suggested is $88.99.

i don't like spending more money but i don't think that the the CPU should be the cheapest part of my new computer. so, are the core 2 duos worth the extra cash? if so which model would you recommend that i get?

as for monitors, i'll probably buy that last. my computer's performance is far more important to me than how big the screen is. i think i'll just pick one up for whatever is still left of my budget after i get everything else.

thanks again for all the help you guys are giving me. i'd be completely lost without it!

edit: do i need to get a UPS?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  19. papola

papola Member

I only think sammorris suggested it because he was trying to fit your budget, and because the monitor he suggested was pricey, he had to budget down your CPU.

Yes, the C2D is much better than the Pentium DC.

--More FSB
    --More OF
    --More Cache
    --Conroe Core
    --Etc..

20. Strazza

Strazza Guest

okay, i think i've got it sort of figured out but it's a bit over budget. the total cost is $1244.90AUD (not american) plus around $300 for a monitor and case.

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev2.0)
    LGA775, P35, 1333FSB, 4x DDR2-1066, PCI-Ex16, 8x SATA-II, RAID, GigLAN, 8Chl, ATX
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/77428/MOTHERBOARD_INTEL_SOCKET_775_CORE_2/Gigabyte/GA-P35-DS3R-V2.asp
    $186.50

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz), LGA775, 4MB Cache, 1066Mhz FSB, ATX
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/71504/CPU_CORE_2_DUO_EXTREME/Intel/BX80557E6420.asp
    $283.35

RAM:
    Corsair 2048MB (2 x 1024MB) PC2-6400 800Mhz DDR2 RAM - 4-4-4-12 - TWIN2X2048-6400C4
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/62593/MEMORY_DDR-2_RAM/Corsair/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.asp
    $120.85

Harddrive:
    Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD w. 16MB Cache (HD501LJ)
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/67100/HDD_INTERNAL_SATA-II_DRIVES/Samsung/HD501LJ.asp
    $154.80

DVD drive:
    Pioneer DVR-212DBK 18x DVD+/-R/RW Dual Layer DVD Burner, SATA - OEM Black
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/69770/DVDROM_DVD_WRITERS/Pioneer/DVR-212BK.asp
    $47.30

Graphics Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 - 512MB DDR3, 256-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV, HDCP, Heatsink - PCI-Ex16 v2.0
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/78348/V...XPRESS_2.0_SERIES/Sapphire/11121-01-41R_L.asp
    $304.90

PSU:
    Corsair VX550W - 550W Power Supply, ATX12V 2.2, 120mm Fan, 6x SATA, 1x 6-pin PCI-Ex, 1x 6+2-pin PCI-Ex Connectors
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/77420/POWERSUPPLIES_ATX/Corsair/CMPSU-550VXAU.asp
    $147.20

what should i downgrade? the processor can probably be replaced with a cheaper C2D but other than that i'm not sure. i'll take this list to the computer shops and see if they can give me a better deal but i doubt it to be honest.

i'd also like a recommendation on which case to get. the one that sammorris posted isn't available from techbuy. i'm not worried about how it looks. i just want something that will be easy to install everything in and that stays cool.