1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Strazza, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Strazza

Strazza Guest

it also looks the prettiest :)

unless someone has something else to add, i think i'm (really) all sorted now.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On top of the looks, it's well built, and has a more powerful/quieter cooler than the stock versions. It can probably overclock higher too, all told.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

4. Strazza

Strazza Guest

only one of my local shops sells crucial ram and it's at a ridiculous price (it was something like $215 for 2GB). i also looked at a couple of other online stores but none of them sold it either. seems kind of odd to me. is it an american brand or something? in any case, i think i'll just stick with corsair.

i will get the e8400 instead of the e6420 though. i only chose the e6420 because it won the consumer choice award on newegg.... i should probably stop listening to that site.

if there's nothing else that should be changed, i'll probably be ordering my parts around this time tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well the higher multiplier on the E8400 should certainly help. This means you won't have to overclock your RAM as much. It seems Sam can't get this RAM to overclock well at all so that's why I was a bit weary of it. You should be fine though, even with the RAM at stock speed you're looking at 3.6 Ghz if you decide to overclock it(which you should).

Good Luck! I'm sure it's gonna be a great computer!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thing is, I'm using four sticks of it, so that may skew my overclocking progress. That and I was running it at 1.9V, which isn't the typical voltage it should have. All told it probably overclocks really well.
    As for the E8400, do it. On air cooling you can get it beyond 4Ghz easily.

7. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i'm aware that i sound like a newb saying this... could be because i am, but how do you overclock?

i'm reading up on it now but if one of you could give me just a brief overview of how it works, it would save me a lot of time.

i'll make sure i've thoroughly done my homework before actually doing it, but if someone could give me the "gist" of it, i'd really appreciate it.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You go in your motherboard setting and change the FSB. It's really simple, I'll show you what it looks like. You just need to know how to multiply lol.

[​IMG]

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

a) get good parts
    b) get into the BIOS
    c) up the front side bus as high as you can without getting crashes
    d) increase the voltages and latencies as required so you can get the FSB even higher - CARE with this one!

10. Strazza

Strazza Guest

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That board looks pretty much identical to the P35-DS3R, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same product renamed.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It just seems like a newer revision of the same board. My board is 2.0 that one says 2.1.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and mine's a humble 1.1... <sobs> meh, i get my parallel port on the back, no need for headers! :) Not that I've actually used a parallel port in the last 5 years...

14. Strazza

Strazza Guest

lol i thought they looked similar.... this one is an extra $12 though.
    thanks again for your help.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That may just be due to the popularity of the first board. It might also have a newer BIOS revision and hardware mods for PCIe 2.0 and such.