My first post, might be a dumb question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by 1newguy, Apr 14, 2006.

1. 1newguy

1newguy Member

Hi all,

I've been reading a ton here and now need to make my first post as I have a problem.

Yesterday I bought a Toshiba SD-3990 at Bestbuy, on the assumption that last night I'd be watching divx movies. Although many in here (and on other sites) have wonderful comments on all that it will do and more my results were not as successful. I was able to burn onto a CD and watch one but I've tried both DVD-R and DVD+R and neither would recognize on the player. In the manual it does not mention DVD when playing a divx movie, but everyone on here says it will work.

Here is what I've done:

Using Nero Express 6 I chose data disc, then chose the *.avi file(s) and proceeded (I've tried one file and 4-5 files). I tried multisession, and not multisession and I've tried DVD-R and DVD+R. When I put them into the player it says loading and in many cases locks up. The DVD+R actually shows me the movie title on screen but when I hit play it stalls at "loading" as well. It never leaves that screen in either case. However as I said if I do it on a CD it works fine.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. 1newguy

1newguy Member

I found my answer to my question so I thought I'd share it in case anyone else runs into it. I found the answer here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/326424

It appears the header types on the files were indeed set as xvid and not Divx. The change made the difference.