1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my friends dvd-a

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by FreeMrkt, Aug 24, 2004.

1. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

My friend just purchased a new dvd-a/sacd player all in one. It is the pioneer DV-578a plugged with analogues into the dvd 6 ch input of a kenwood VR-615. All seems correct.

But, when i play a dvd-a or sacd, the reciever still keeps the pro logic light on. Also, playing dolby digital dvd's result in a lack of surround speakers playing at all.

The reciever also has a dvd optical and its own analogue section so i am assuming the dvd 6 ch is a external decoder type of deally. If not, well, then there's the problem. Unfortunately, my friend does not have the manual for the reciever.

Does anyone (Wilkes) know why it is doing this?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What is almost certainly happening is an incorrect setting on the reciever.
    To get the Dolby Digital Surround, you must come out of ProLogic mode, and go into DD mode.
    On my Cambridge Audio amp, the options on both the remote & the amp are
    "Surround Modes" - the amp's built in DSP
    "ProLogic II" - ProLogic Mode
    "DD-ES / DTS-EX" - The mode needed for Dolby Digital & DTS Discrete surround
    "6.1 Direct" - the mode needed for DVD-A & SACD multichannel.
    "Stereo" - forces stereo, no matter what.

What happens usually is this:
    When you play DVD-A or SACD, the output from the player is analogue - always. To hear this, you need the analogue outputs from the player hooked up to the analogue inputs of the amp. There is no quality issue here, as the DAC used are industry standard 24/192 chips.
    To get Dolby Digital in 5.1, you must enter the correct mode. You must also be connected using the digital output from the player to the digital input of the amp. CoAxial is the best option if you have both CoAx & SP-DIF. I do not know this Kenwood amp at all, and will look it up online. I also suggest a call to kenwood, or a visit to their site for a copy of the manual. These beasts are complex, and not always obvious in connection & usage.
    When in ProLogic mode, everything you play will go through the internal ProLogic decoder, and this is usually the default setting. Again, the manual will tell you how to change the default setting so you can set things up the way you want to.

If you are still having trouble, please feel free to mail me & I will help.

3. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

Thanks for the reply

After messing around with the receiver for a while, I found some buttons and pressed them. One of then put the input to analogue instead of auto. So, its all better.