1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My frozen hard drive problem has ben fixed!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by cookie257, Aug 21, 2007.

1. cookie257

cookie257 Member

ok so i tryed to remove my softmod from my xbox a while back and got an error when i went to the uninstall softmod option when u put in the splinter cell cd and then run the soft installer. I tryed a binch of different things to get it to uninstall but it didnt work so stupid me went into my game saves folder and deleted unleash x stuff and thats when it got screwed but the good news then was that i could still play a game if i started up the xbox with the disc in but without a disc it takes t=me to an error screen and i get like error 14 and 16 sometimes now (6 months later) when i start my xbox with a disc in the tray or not it takes me to an error screen and i always get error 16 which has to do with the dashboard not loading and the clock. also I do not get the microsft logo under the big x and xbox so idk if i can do hotswap.

2. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

3. cookie257

cookie257 Member

I've got a question if i manage to hotswap my hard drive into my computer can i just erase c and e folders except for the udata and tdata folders with a fresh m$ dash and then resoftmod it will my xbox be fixed or will that not work im thinking it will

4. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

that should fix you dash, but deleating files is always abit risky (in case you accidently deleate the eeprom or somthing like that) Also i doubt that would fix your error 16, but im not sure

5. knockemv2

knockemv2 Regular member

for an error 16 fix you must hotswap to fix it

6. cookie257

cookie257 Member

ok well instead of erasing my whole hdd and starting from scratch i decided to rebuild the c partition because that had all of the mest up files and the missing ones in it so i did that and then cloned my hdd with with xboxhdm so i could still create a new drive from scratch if building the c drive doesn't work and now when i go to lockhd under the linux utilities it says drive frozen i tried disabling auto detect but it didn't work and my hdd didn't show up it said no hdd found so im stuck can someone tell me how to fix this please

7. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

the same thing happened to me. I just waited untill linux had booted and then plugged the IDE cable into my drive.

8. cookie257

cookie257 Member

psykard. Did that make the drive show up as unlocked because when i go into linux and type lockhd then wait like a second and type lockhd -a it says this drive is frozen. also how long did you wait after you loaded up option 3 linux before you typed lockhd and then went to the next steps? im not sure how my drive got frozen i think its because i forgot to lock it after i rebuilt the c partition after i had did that i poped it in my xbox shut it off and then turned it back on and got error five end new the hdd was unlocked still. thanks for your help so far

9. cookie257

cookie257 Member

i still haven't ben able to get my hdd to be unfrozen im not sure what to do now.

10. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

are you waiting untill XBHDM has loaded b4 you connect the IDE cable??? this way it avoids the detect sequence at boot up and dosn't get frozen

11. cookie257

cookie257 Member

i wait till it loads then connect the ide cable and if i don't choose a choice in like 1 minute it starts and does option 1 automatically idk y i have tried waiting until linuz loaded and then plugged it in and waited like three minutes and then type lockhd and then lockhd -a and it said no drive detected. if i go into my bios and just to let you no i can change squat cuz its a dell and i go to drive config or sumthin and turn the primary master from auto to no which is the only other option and that doesn't do anything either.

12. cookie257

cookie257 Member

ohh i also forgot to add when it says drive is frozen and then i turn off my comp does it become unfrozen or is it still frozen if it is still frozen how do i unfreeze it?

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Read my tutorials, look at the "Locked" hdd section!

14. lowkey

lowkey Member

@cookie
    I had the same frozen drive trouble and I solved it by leaving the ide cable plugged in and disconnecting the power cable to the drive then waiting for linux to load...up to the first option screen. Before selecting anything...I plugged the power cable in and then selected 3 to lock hd. It worked for me and I did have to try it a few times to get the timing right. If you wait until after you have selected 3 then the drive will NOT be detected. I have the same crappy bios that won't allow any changes.

15. cookie257

cookie257 Member

ok well i tried what lowkey said like 15 times and it always said no drive detected does anyone have any sugestions?

16. cookie257

cookie257 Member

guess what everyone i was massing with something in the bios and i was able to lock both my hdds the one i made from scratch with a clean dash 40gb Maxtor and my original xbox hdd that i rebuilt the c partition and they both make my xbox boot yay thank you everyone at afterdawn.com for helping me even though not everyone did and i will continue to post here and help people out as you may have noticed i have given suggestions for sum people already and i am not going to just leave because my problems have ben fixed. One more thing all you people here rock!