1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by denny29, Jul 7, 2005.

1. denny29

denny29 Member

originally i posted this in another forum, but somebody suggested it should be in here, so here goes !!

after what seems an eternity i have finally got to grips with it !

have been given plenty of adivce from this and other forums over the last year or so, so here's a big thank you to everyone for their help.

to put something back, heres my guide. So far using this method i have had 100% results. I reckon there are 4 must have pieces of software

1) NERO burning ROM
    2) VCD Gear
    3) VSO Divx to DVD
    4) DVD Shrink

2-4 are all freebies to download, only nero burning rom you need pay for, but use your initiative and you will find it around.

step by step guide, just jump in at the right point depending on the file type.

1) for a bin/cue file convert to mpeg using vcd gear, really simple prog, and converts in minutes.
    2) to convert an mpeg/avi etc use VSO Divx to DVD. Again really simple program to use , but you basically need to leave the computer running overnight to convert to a dvd file as it takes a few hours.
    3) burn the output from step 2 using Nero burning rom. Occasionally the dvd file will be to large to burn from step 2. If this is the case then use dvd shrink to burn. Shrink conversion and burning only takes about an hour at most.

Not sure what the score is with codecs, just know you need them, so i got loads installed !

have tried loads of different progs, dvd santa, nero start smart, alcohol 120, tmpgenc to name a few. Have had good results for the most part, but occasionally you get problems with conversion bottoming out, no sound etc.

I find the 4 programs above are simple and to the point. No fancy graphics, video edditing, menus etc. They do the job they are meant to do and work 100% of the time.

I am deffinatley no expert. There may be better/quicker ways of doing it, but for me i have found a formula that works and as the saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it.

i know its a simple to the point guide, hope it helps somebody out there. Would have killed for something like this when i first started dabbling.

2. marcus23

marcus23 Regular member

Thanks. Very useful info.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from resource center*

Couple things ....

I don't know why they would have suggested the resource center and not User submitted guides.

Also, Read the forum rules ... Multiposting is against the rules.

Last, again read the forum rules. Forum rule #7. Describe your problem specifically -- including the thread topic, because this helps people who are willing to answer to you.

I'm glad you created a guide ... but how are people suppose to know what kind of guide it is with a title like "my guide"?

Post a better thread title and I'll change it to that

4. gilera

gilera Regular member

I agree with you denny but i cannot see why you state leave overnight for VSO Divx to DVD as i have been using it for months and normally an hour is the convert time for 1 movie but longer if you join various programmes together.