1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my HD-TV dvd same with REGULAER TV playing DVD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rihgt682, Jul 17, 2006.

1. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

You know those black lines you see on regular dvds. Is because they SAID you need WIDESCREEN TV 16*9. Well i BOUGHT and HAVE HD TV and it's 16*9 and i STILL see the freaking black line bar on my HD TV. So it's actully BETTER to get REGULAR t.v to view WIDESCREEN. Because it's bigger. There is no point of having WIDESCREEN TV if it still shows BLACK BAR ON HD TV. WTF?

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

16:9 is 1.78:1. Some movies are shot in 2.35:1 so you will still see black bars on a 16:9 TV. People with front projectors can use electronic masking on their screens to compensate for the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. anyarism

anyarism Guest

if you downscale the image to a lower resolution you can expand the picture to fit the screen if its that annoying

4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

My friend have HD DVD player which was shot at 1.78:1 i think and it still has black bar on widescreen tv. why don't WIDESCREEN t.v DIE!!!!

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You have been fed miss information. Eatsushi is right but thats not all there is to it.

Long story short, movies shot at 1.78:1 (16x9) and 1.85:1 ratios will not have black bars at the top and bottom with a widescreen set [bold]as long as your DVD player is set to output a 16x9 signal[/bold]!

Movies shot larger (like 2.35:1) will have little black bars at the top and bottom to maintain a proper aspect ratio, but they shouldn't be bottersome.
    (I am assumming all the DVDs you will ever own are all anamorphicly encoded and not simply Letterboxed transfers)

Here is a link to my faq on this subject...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/226188

There you will find links to a web site that shows you everything and explains in great detail why Wide Screen is here to stay and why paying someone to install your equipment is a great idea.

Also, since you have an HDTV (would like more info as to what type of HDTV you have and what size screen it is) make sure that the [bold]Component Video[/bold] jacks on the back of your DVD player are being used and that [bold]Progressive Scanning[/bold] is turned on!

Its about more than just hooking it up,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Why don't they start making movies at 1.85:1?

7. jethrouk

jethrouk Member

I have component but haven't used it

Does it make any difference on Single definition source thru H/D Screen

8. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I use HDMI and it is turned on. It still doesn't remove the black bars unless the dvd is "FULL SCREEN" verizon.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Some movies are shot using a 1.85:1 ratio.

Five recent movies shot using a 1.85:1 ratio:
    [bold]
    1) Lady in the Water

2) The Ant Bully

3) Corpse Bride

4) Hulk

5) World Trade Center
    [/bold]

All are anamorphic widescreen

Yes. All HDTVs can except a Progressive Scan video signal. Progressive scan (480p or Enhanced Definition) is better than Interlaced Scan (480i or Standard Definition).

I should have said,

"movies shot at 1.78:1 (16x9) and 1.85:1 ratios will not have black bars at the top and bottom with a widescreen set [bold]as long as the DVD player is set to output a widescreen signal and the DVD movie is anamorphic widescreen[/bold]"

Not Letterbox Widescreen!

See this page for an example:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  10. jethrouk

jethrouk Member

when i went to school, expanding (magnifying) a picture is downscaling it to a lower resolution - isn't it?

11. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Thanks diabolos. Nice site. well all movies come out in 1.85:1 ratio? What about 2:40:1 anamorphic widescreen?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  12. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It depends on whatever the director's and producer's artistic vision is. Its all about art. Some movies look better wider and some don't. Some movies even use different aspects during the movie.

The Anamorphic 2.35:1 and wider movies will still show slight black bars. They are in the video stream to maintain aspect ratio. Even though the black bars are there the image is still at full resolution which is why you want anamorphic DVD instead of letter box only DVDs (which don't really circulate anymore) or Full Screen dvds.

Sorry for the lateness of my reply,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007