1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My journey to upgrading my Xbox HDD *Includes hair pulling!*

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by n00bH4X0R, Dec 7, 2007.

1. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Ok, as you can see from my thread title im a little frustrated with this.

For the past 7 hours ive been researching and putting into practise what I thought would put a new HD into my Xbox to replace the puny 8/10GB standard. The HD im trying to use is one i've taken from my MAXTOR Personal Storage 3200 which is 400GB. Before you say anything, I realise that the max is 137GB that the Xbox can read and other stuff like making a G format, etc. I would like more info on these aswell if possible. The model no. of my "extracted HD" is a Seagate ST3400620A.

My current setup is a softmod ready made which I downloaded from here if I remember correctly. It was a zip from Megaupload titled "mhackxbox".

This allowed me to just simply transfer the files using a hotswap method and I had EvoX. This version does not have "System Utilities" like you need to backup your eeprom in most cases but I have used EEPromer to make a backup and transfer over FTP. When I opened this eeprom with LiveInfo I found out that it didnt have the same serial no. as my Xbox so I edited to mine.

What I have tried to do is make an XboxHDM 1.9 DVD disc with the mhackxbox.zip files as C and E folders to build on. I also put the eeprom in the eeprom folder. Made the ISO and burned to DVD. What I did next was open up my Dell XPS 710 with Vista and see that I have only one IDE cable which has the primary and secondry masters free as my HD and CD/DVD Drive were SATA. I wonder is this a problem? I just put a molex connector in the new HD and attached the Primary IDE to it also. I removed my OS HD then.

I booted from the XboxHDM 1.9 disc with my ready made softmod files and it came to the main menu. I selected 1 and enter. Then it proceeded to the Linux penguin and loads. It stops down the line on my XP older computer and on my Vista makes it to the screen where I want to enter "xboxhd" but it says unable to mount like 20 times and then says Linux CD not found.

Ive tried around 20 different methods all ending up with XboxHDM 1.9 but i cannot get passed it.

Another thing with my Xbox softmod. I went to install Linux on my Gamesave partition and got alot of errors. Im not sure whether its relevant but now in the FTP C and F folders contain nothing.

At this point im going mental pulling my hairout and the next step will be suicide ;) I really need help and for someone to put me into the right direction in succeeding. Any more info needed just ask. I feel like I forgot something.

Btw this is my first post. Hello to all!

2. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

I have also found out some more info in my latest effort:

In my setup/bios there is a screen where I can enabled and disable SATA and PATA accessability. I usually see it being read in the linux loading "ATA Device ST3400620A" or something other.

Not sure the relevance but I thought i'd add it in here.

Anyone?

3. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Again sorry for adding to the thread again but dont think I can edit posts.

After having read the readme in the xboxhdm > linux folder I found out that primary master mounts /dev/hda and primary slave mounts /dev/hdb.

Havin tried out primary master many times I getting this error:

mount: Mounting /dev/hda on /xboxhdm failed invalid arguement
    " " " " "
    " " " " "
    " " " " "
    Linix CD not found! Insert it and try again.

I tried switching to primary slave and got this:

mount: Mounting /dev/hdb on /xboxhdm failed invalid arguement
    " " " " "
    " " " " "
    " " " " "
    Linix CD not found! Insert it and try again.

This told me there was something to do with the hard drive and its position of being accessed/mounted.
    I dont think its locked as when I put it in the external hd it works fine and I can access it in My Computer or maybe its NTFS.

Can someone explain some more about this error?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Wow!!!

You've gone to a lot of effort with a process that is so insane that I don't know what to tell you!

Where have you been getting your information from?

Hotswap Softmodding is REALLY dangerous! You can easily almost brick your console.

You can't just make up an eeprom because the one you had didn't match, that's just crazy talk!

Read my tutorials, they will show you how to Softmod, change HDDs and use all the software needed. I also provided links to the CORRECT software too.

5. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

I do feel a little insane now yes!

I have mostly been using Xbox-Scene.com and here for tutorials etc.

I hotswapped with no problems and just used the ready made files.

Atm im downloading AID, once done... Can I just softmod the xbox with the original HD using it on the EvoX I already have? Then it will make a completely new softmod with an eeprom matching my xbox?

Thanks for the post too, its great that people find time to help others out with their modding problems :)

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Basically, the first thing you'll want to do is secure the correct eeprom!

This can be achieved via a couple of methods, but I think one of the best ones will be my "Can I FTP an unmodded Xbox" tutorial.

You will need to start the softmod process, from that screen you can then FTP and get your eeprom.

With the eeprom in hand you can build the HDD correctly and lock it.

Forget the XboxScene tutorials, they are messy and give conflicting advice. I have spent a lot of time writing my tutorials to ensure that the message is clear and easy to comprehend.

Anything you need to do will be covered in the Troublshooter (click my signature), if it's not, tell me and I will add it!

;)

7. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Ok thanks for all you help again.

I am going to try out your tutorials. At this moment i am burning AID to a DVD and will softmod it with UnleashX (seems to be one you mention quite alot). Then I will use the FTP guide to get my eeprom which should be correct once the softmod runs from AID right?

I still have the problem of Linux CD not found! Insert and try again from then on. I will follow your guide but I will have most likely tried it out of the 100s I have ;)

Will report back with results.
    Have a good day chunkhead!

8. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Right at the moment, Im currently using the Retail HD with UnleashX dashboard which was installed with AID IV. Using AID again I have backed up my eeprom. I found it at E:\UDATA\2XXXXXXXXXXX\000000000000\Backup. My next step is to upgrade my HD. I started off doing this tutorial:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

And down the line I realised that it will make it the official Dashboard 5960. The only way I was able to softmod before was through the ready-made softmod files which I think messed up my eeprom. Without hotswapping again (seems to not work but freeze my PC now), can I FTP on the 5960 Dashboard? I recall reading it somewhere that I can.

Then I could go about using AID IV to get where I am with the Retail HD?

If so, this is turning out ok :)

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You can download a copy of the 5960 dash from my software page.

I have written a tutorial called "Can I FTP an unmodded Xbox?". This will show you how to FTP the Dash files!

;)

10. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Ok, I will follow the tutorial IF I get passed this very frustrating part of building the HD.

I am still puzzled as to why I keep getting a Linux CD not found! Insert and try again error. This is as far as I get and have to come back here.

Im stuck at a stand still until this is explained and a solution springs to mind :(

Ideas?

11. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Right I found an answer. Since it wasnt getting to the second screen on my older computer. I thought i'd use the Drive in my newer one that did.

I had better results. The conclusion came to that if you are using a DVD burner you will get the Linux CD not found! error.

The problem I have now is that I have gotten error 06 on my xbox after making the new HD. Like I said, the serial doesnt match on my xbox doesnt match the eeproms that I backed up from AID.

Help?

12. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Success. I have finally completed upgrading my Xbox HDD.
    Although I didnt use chunkhead's guide in the end, I have learned so much in the past 2 days from trial and error and hopefully will be able to contribute help to others in the future. The completion was succeeded using the Chink2.4 tutorial over at Xbox-HQ which was linked in chunkhead's guide.

I really think the below "Conclusion" should be either stickied or placed in an FAQ.

Conclusion

When using XboxHDM at anytime, make sure you are not using a DVD burner. It is ok that it can read DVD's but burners will prohibit you from continuing once booted in XboxHDM. If used you will get an error similar to this one:

Code:
    mount: Mounting /dev/hda on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    Linux CD not found! Insert and try again
    mount: Mounting /dev/hdb on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    mount: Mounting /dev/hdc on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    mount: Mounting /dev/hdd on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    mount: Mounting /dev/hde on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    mount: Mounting /dev/hdf on /xboxhdm failed: invalid arguement
    CD burners are a-ok :)

If adding, credits please!

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'm sorry, but your conclusion is complete utter bollox! In 2007, if you are not running a DVD burner as your drive your computer is too old.

I have NO problems with XboxHDM, nor has anyone else.

The failures that you had were something that either your 'old' computer could not overcome or something that you were doing incorrectly!

The eeprom failure that you were getting was 100% your fault. The eeprom locations have been discussed in length before. There are two locations, you must check both to ensure you have the correct one. LiveInfo is used to ensure that an Error 6 doesn't occur!

14. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

No need to swear! :D

Im just saying, as soon as I used the non DVD burner all went OK. I even googled to find a person who did this same method.

Maybe its just my drive isnt compatible to run XboxHDM. I realised myself that every computer now has a DVD burner if not Blu-ray but was just thinking of how it turned out which was working it without the DVD burner.

You might want to still say in the FAQ that some drives may not work so try to find a no DVD burner as it has worked for others with the issue of Linux CD not found!

Thanks for the help chunkhead but most of it was trial and error in which I figured out anyways. You did put me in the right direction and I am thankful for that.

Cheers!

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I wasn't having a go at you, and I'm glad you got your Xbox working, but the route in which you took to get there was... awkward at best!

The issue that you have with your DVD drive will be specific to you, as I have never heard of it occurring before! The drive is obviously damaged or unable to recognize the media you burned to. It is NOT a software glitch.

Most, if not all XboxHDM problems are related to the HDD not being detected. This is 99.9% always to with the current BIOS the user is using. I have never come across a CD problem that was XboxHDM's fault!

Personally, I'm the sort of person that likes to know why things do or do not work. I'm never happy with "well it's working now, but I couldn't do it correctly".

I have written all of my tutorials around this concept and I encourage all modders to get a full, well rounded understanding of exactly what they are doing. Without it, you are simply flying blind and will inevitably wind up back here asking me to fix your Xbox again!

;)

16. n00bH4X0R

n00bH4X0R Member

Ok thread conclusion :)

Thank you for all your help and information, im sure that will be of use in the future.
    Im certain its not the drive thats the problem as its only 5 months old with a flawless system topping €5000.

Have a good day!