1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My last chance on linux!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by lecsiy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey,

Right ive been having this problem for soo long its driving me crazy. Im a bit of a newbie but im eager to lear when it comes to linux. Actually what am i saying I KNOW NOTHING about linux!

Ok, now im trying to install my Netgear WG311T pci card to my suse linux. The internet around my house is WEP encrypted i know the key soo thats all good.

Now it wont work out of the box which is really annoying soo after hours of researching something i know soo little about i kept coming back to something called ndiswrapper. Not sure what that is but i downloaded it. It was a .tar gz file if that makes any sense. I then right clicked it and extracted to desktop. Soo now i had a useless folder on the computer called ndiswarpper somethihg .gz . Fine, then i read somewere i had to download a 2000 version of my netgear driver. Fine i did that, then it said something like. To install do:

Ndiswrappeer -1 Something something!

And i was sitting there scracthing my head saying WTF!!

Soo thats basically were i am at!

Can any one please help me this is soo annoying to have linux on my pc and not be ablt to use it propely!

O and if your wondering the way im on the internet is i dual boot winh xp and linux!!

Thanks for any help!

Lecsiy

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  3. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Thanks for your help but one problem. Im quoting from the top link it says:

How do you "do" ndiswrapper? And what is the sign after the -??

Thats what gets me!

Thanks jan for above post..

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The sign after the -??.. Could it be a lowercase L as in -l or maybe an upper I.. can't tell with the font I use as default.

I just ran through the last guide with suse 10.2 and it all worked as stated..except I don't have any wireless stuff, so I picked a driver at random, some linksys thing..
    suse 10.2 is excellent..and it should work fine..or the other option is the slax popcorn live cd which has ndiswrapper installed and ready to roll.

I have a strange feeling you are the only suse user here.. the creakster is mandriva, I'm debian.. fiendish one..who knows?? sounds like windows at the moment...

Give the last link a good try and if it locks up post back and I'll have a think...

5. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey,

First of all a big thank you to every one whoose helped me thus far. Not only Jan but creaky and the fiend have been very helpfull in the past!

Now, im pretty excited because i decided to try another distro which i got working with the internet wirelessly!!

Its linux mint and i love it!!!

Now theres one thing thats still bugging me, my Sapphire X1800GTO is obviously not properly configured as im getting a very static screen whilst scrolling!

Does any one have any advice??

.... by the way im posting of linux :D:D

Lecsiy

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'll look thru and offer some help if i can, but not until that sig conforms. it's them thar rules you see..

a quick browse shows you're using WEP - insecure is an understatement, though you can only improve on that if your router and oth wifi stuff can manage WPA or better.. Anyway, i haven't read thru this properly so sort the sig and i'll look thru what you and jan have posted..

7. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Thanks, what exactly is wrong with my sig?

Its under 50kb. And its 400 x 130??

Im sure im missing something. Point me in the right direction and il change it right away :)

Lecsiy

8. creaky

9. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ahh i see! Soo close lol! Well now ive changed it? Think you can give this a read through and see if ya can help?

Lecsiy

10. creaky

being as i can sit with laptop whilst watching Superman on TV i'll see what i can do :)

let's start with ndiswrapper, i use it on most of my machines....(and i use Linux primarily on this laptop so you're in luck) though as i'm on the river today i'm connected via ethernet...but have ndiswrapper to hand....

ndiswrapper (with a little 'L') gives this --->

[root@linuxtest1 creaky]# ndiswrapper -l

I type ndiswrapper on it's own and it gives this -->

So.. what you need to do is locate the relevant Windows drivers and 'load' them via ndiswrapper....

I can locate my Wireless chipset via this -

then i can look down this list for info on BCM4318 chipset -

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  11. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Cool, Does ndiswrapper work for graphics card??

12. creaky

not in a million years :)

how are you doing on the wireless side of things..before we attack video stuff..

13. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hehe, thought you might have missed that. I got that working with mintlinux version: Bea. (A modded version of ubuntu)

I even thanked you in that post!! Il quote it:

Now, the next thing i needed help with was getting my Sapphire ATI X1800GTO Graphics card working propely with linux as when i scroll through things it gets very very static!!

Lecsiy

14. creaky

oh i see, i'd half misunderstood :p

what i mean is are you still using WEP as half your neighbours/passers by could well be on your network too..

as to the video issue, i hate those, but we'll see what we can do...

15. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ye, ive kind of given up with the internet. My dad does it and hes happy with WEP. Ive tried to explain it him with no avail. And my neighbours i doubt it. They both have completly open internet so i doubt they know how to get in to our network!!

Haha soo about the graphics card.....

Ooo also thought id add, instead of using ndiswrapper to get it to work i used a programme to run it (wifiradar)

So im still a terminal newbie..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ok update!!!

Ive finally got some sort of driver installed. Which is running just fine.

All i can say is wow. Ive got started with linux in the terminal i love it! Linux rules!!!!

Lecsiy

oo p.s because everyone heres been so helpfull. Im gonna TRY write a guide to help people go through what i did!! haha

17. creaky

ok lecsiy, cool. i've been on the motorway today and been messing with a couple PC's since then so haven't had chance to check hardly any replies, glad you're making progress; thought in my own humble opinion that's the best way to learn/fix stuff anyways, by yourself :p

will catch up on all my replies later on this evening

18. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey,

Il try and make this my last problem lol!

Well i get most things on linux but theres one more thing i dont get:

Ok lets say for example using good ol afterdawn i want to install:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/alternative_platforms/linux_software/dvdrip.cfm

Ok, so its downloaded. Now i get this folder:

dvdrip-0.98.2

Now this is were i get stuck to be hounest. What do i do. I know it has something to do with using the make command in terminal whilst being root. But thats about all i know.

Thanks soo much for all your help so far!!

Lecsiy

19. creaky

i haven't got around to the DVD ripping side of things in Linux yet (creaky whispers so the Linux guys don't hear, about the only thing i use XP heavily is for DVD stuff) :)

What i would suggest is to earch out some posts here round the forums by 'wild77', he's experimenting with all that stuff, i just can't be doing with mixing Linux and DVD stuff just yet, too much other stuff to do; plus it suits me if wild77 and/or other people do all the hard work :) :)

20. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Cool,

No my problem is with comiling programmes. Im really stuck on how to go about just installing a programme. Let alone using it! hehe thats next post!!