1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My life is over

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xerofyre, Mar 14, 2005.

1. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

You know how you'd feel if your memory card got wiped out? Now multiply that feeling by a thousand and you get how I feel.

My computer....is broken....

There were ads and spyware, so I downloaded spy cleaner 8. I cleaned the machine. It restarted the computer. Now it gets stuck at the Windows login screen. It just shows Microsoft Windows XP. It doesn't show my login name. It's just stuck there.

If anybody can help, I'd be your slave.

That computer was filled with anime, games, my life.
    It cannot be replaced. Woe is me. What have I done that God has treated me so. Oh I will now go weep in a corner.

I'm writing this from my mom's laptop, which is stupid, and cannot appease me. At least now I have a valid reason for begging my mom for a new computer. But I can't replace all those files. Even the music alone, was over 500 files. The anime, tons of gigs. The computer games....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Easiest meathod: buy new computer, and put hard drive from old computer in new computer. Your hard drive is fine, its just the OS, so windows on the new computer will recgonize it, and itll show up in "my computer", and all files will be there.

The slightly harder way (a.k.a: normal way): pop in your winxp cd, and boot from it. There is a recovery option (not recovery console, thats different) in windows, that will pretty much remove your windows folder and reinstall all the windows files. Some programs tend not to work after you do this, but you can always backup and reformat, or uninstall and reinstall non working apps. All your data will still be there.

Hope it helps.

3. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

the recovery cd isn't working, I put it in the computer and it doesn't boot up. I remember on another computer you had to hold a button while you turned the computer on?

I don't know. But the easy method makes me a little happier. I was wondering if that would work. Thank you.

4. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

First, the key you are talking about is f8, and it gives you a windows boot menu, to boot into safe mode, and stuff like that. this is something i didnt think about, that you might want to try, just to back up your information first. If you want to boot off a cd:

go into your bios (press delete or f1 or f2 (itll usually say "to enter setup press "X"")

then find your boot menu, and change the first boot device to cdrom.

reboot with the settings saved, and you should be able to boot from the winxp cd.

5. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

its funny you should mention that, I know almost nothing about stuff like that, but that's exactly what I did. It said press delete to enter setup, then I put cdrom as boot this device first. But it still didn't work.

6. denzilla

denzilla Member

f5 brings up the menu to load into safe mode. If you cannot get windows to load, just ask a friend to hook up the drive as a slave on their PC and backup your data, then do a clean install of OS and apps. Also, that Antispyware program sounds fishy too me. Only trust these apps:

MS Antispyware
    Spybot SD
    Ad-Aware
    Webroot Spy Sweeper
    Pest Patrol
    McAfee Antispyware (not tested, but legit)
    Spyware Blaster (proactive. will not help u here)

U need to use a combonation to clean everything. Go with the first three on my list and they're all free too. MS Antispyware only works on 2000/XP.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  7. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

I screwed up the first time I tried to boot cdrom first, so now it worked, and the startup disk booted.....I don't know if I should go through with it though....

oh and I used that spyware program because it was the highest rated in user reviews on download.com

we'll see...what I decide to do

8. denzilla

denzilla Member

Select to repair the existing installation. Your files will be there, but some programs will need to be re-installed. After grabbing your important files, I'd still erase/reload OS and apps to get the frsh clean feeling :)

9. joschez

joschez Regular member

You should just reformat the computer.

10. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

reformat?

The point he was making was he didnt want to LOSE any of his games, music etc

If you do get a new PC I think the lesson you have to learn is to regularly clean your computer and keep anti virus stuff upto date

11. joschez

joschez Regular member

Got Suggestions?

12. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

The best way to retrieve files is the hdd swap into the new computer, copy all the files to the new computer's hdd, format the old one, install an OS, pop it back in the new computer, transfer all the files back to the old hdd and wholla, problem solved. IT worked for me, like a charm, in fact, i thought i was screwed until i thought about this idea.

13. joschez

joschez Regular member

I did try that but the computer did not let me go on unless I installed a partition on the old hard drive.

14. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Partition, eh? Was the setting on slave/cable select?

15. joschez

joschez Regular member

It was on Slave

16. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

ok, I don't want to be opening up my computer right away, and I don't have a place to put the hard drive just yet, so I tried the repair OS thing with the startup disk, and when it starts copying files then almost every file it says it can't find and do I want to retry (which does nothing), skip, or quit.

I ended up skipping up to 50% until it said please insert the Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD. Which I don't have. I don't think I ever got one. ugh not sure what to do.

17. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Just stick to the hdd swap thing man, its the easiet way...or go and borough a cleaner copy of xp and the service pack cd.

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the make & model of your computer as it sounds like a name brand computer. does/did the hd have or had a partition in it so you had c: & d: besides your rom drives

19. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

if you dont have the windows xp cd, then what were you using?

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a restore disk