1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mac won't recognize some recorded cd's

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by rusty1217, Sep 6, 2012.

1. rusty1217

rusty1217 Member

This is my first post and I did try to search with no result. I have a mac book pro. 6 years old, 2.16 intel core 2 duo running Osx10.6.8. I have had some issues in the past with my macbook not recognizing picture cd's from various stores. The disc has pictures on it and when I put it in my computer, the computer just says there is a blank cd and wants to know what I want to do. This weekend I was in Jamaica where I received a cd from a band that I put in my computer and it popped up as a blank cd-r. I then went to a place that took a bunch of pictures of us and put them on a cd. I had them pop up the cd just to make sure it was good. Again, I put it in the computer and it pops up blank. I brought both home and the music cd works in my cd players and the picture cd works in my dvd player but neither will work on my mac. Please help

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

From reading your post the onhly thing that comes to mind is that the CD\DVD drive has come to the end of its lifespan. However have you put in an old disc that used to work in it before.

If every disc that you put in the drive comes up as blank it defintley has to do with the 6years of age the system has. I would take it to Mac store and get them to test it to make sure.

Keep me posted on this.

3. rusty1217

rusty1217 Member

It plays movies and other cds. My problem comes in with some recorded cds. The first time was with a picture cd from CVS. Now I received 2 cds in Jamaica that just show up blanks on my mac but play on my dvd player. One is a cd from a band and the other is a picture cd from another place. They even put it in their computer to review the pictures before I left. I did just check and both cds are cd-r if that matters. I believe it shouldn't with my computer.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Sounds like it just doesn't recognize the type of files that are on the CD's.Check the file association with the media player you are using.What program on your Mac are you using to View/Play the files?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. rusty1217

rusty1217 Member

I broke down and went to the Apple store today. I have never taken a computer in before and have always fixed my own problems. They checked it out and he cleaned the cd/dvd player and everything works. He said the cd/dvd may be going bad and if it gives me anymore problems it would be cheaper to get an external then to replace it. I have never had a computer long enough that the cd player needed cleaning so I never even considered it. Especially because it would play normal cds and dvds. I assumed the hardest problems first instead of the easiest solutions. Lesson learned.

I will say Apples service was great and there was no charge and my laptop is 6 years old. I thought that was awesome on their part.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thats awesome news mate happy it all worked in the end i was going to even suggest a firmware update but a good old clean does do the job :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  7. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Actually don't think it's over you need to understand recording and cd recording with apple drives.

theres version 1.0 disk burning

there's disk burning 2.0

and new 3.0 for the new mini sata cd-rom drives

Let me explain the differences in this for new users.

1.0 will only read in a drive that supports 1.0

2.0 will read 1.0 and 2.0 recorded disks

3.0 will read everything

this is not apples fault though this is the drive manufacturer being a jerk