1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'My Music' will not open

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gilbert74, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gilbert74

gilbert74 Member

I can not open 'My Music' the folder that comes with windows xp and every time i try it will pop up with an error message saying that windows explorer has had an error. This problem happens if i try to go through start menu, my documents, typing in the url on my computer, and even if i try to upload the music onto my media player from that folder. please help its very annoying

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

Do you use p2p to get music, have you scanned your pc for spyware or viruses, have u installed any recent programs or updates ?

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

try:
    X:/Documents and Settings/*YOUR USER NAME*/My Documents/My Music
    Replace X with your hard drive letter. Usually C

4. gilbert74

gilbert74 Member

i have scaned my computer over and over as well as tried the computer url and all have not helped the problem it is to the point where i am thinking about trying to find a way to delete all the music in there and redownloading my 4000 songs

5. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Have you ran a check disk? You may have to restart your comp for it to be completed.

6. elliott

elliott Regular member

I understand your fustration, this is one reason it is so important to backup your files periodically on to data discs when u back up music in data format you can put alot more files onto a dvd or cd-rom. Make sure when backing up music files to back up your user licenses as well or you may have playback issues. Using p2p to get music has it's downside although I know world wided based on some media estimates this has become very popular many virus and trojan infected files are out there not to mention the possibility of getting the nefarious RIAA to file a lawsuit against you. I have also found (call me a conspiracy theorist) that some of my customers who use this method have wierd unsolveable computer issues and I believe its caused by music labels putting thier own altered files out on the web. Your only last resort solution will be to completely reformat your hard drive and re-install Windows and of course all your other software. Searching the web I found this but it's not a fix just a possible culprit

Compaq laptop, Vista Home, Windows Sounds Play fine! Streaming audio from intenet(flash based player works too!) Every file type I can try doesn't have sound. I tried all the new codec packs, CCCP, NIMO etc. Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC player, MPlayer Nothing can get sound from this laptop, .mp3 .mpg .avi DVD nothing. There is nothing wrong with the drivers on this machine because it plays the login welcome noise when you turn it on! This is really frustrating. Also when you adjust the volume you can hear it too.

This is speculation: I am working on this machine for another person, who put Limewire on it. This program was the only thing that was installed before the no sound crash. She removed limewire, and when she did it killed the sound. I think

good luck with your problem

7. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

@ Elliot,

Hi, don't know if you saw this but since you mentioned Limewire thought this may be relevant

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/14857.cfm

Seems there is some kind of backdoor here with that. Might want to look into it.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Limewire has a lot of problems. Use frostwire.