1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New Philips CDRW freeze my windows

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by PeAceR, Jul 19, 2003.

1. PeAceR

PeAceR Member

Hi all

I have bought a Philips 48x CDRW CD-Writer drive. I have installed it to secondary-master position and my old CDR LG stays at primary-slave position

My computer is pentium-4 1.5 Ghz with 128 Mb ram and windows XP proffesional running.

Now my PC recognize my philips CDRW as G: normally. I divide my harddisk into 3 partitions. So C:, D:, and E: are harddisks. F: is CDROM drive and G: is CDRW

But even everything seems to be o.k. I have a terrible problem with my CDRW. When my philips is enabled, my windows system freezes every minute for some 3-5 seconds, even sometimes my mouse is not moving. Than, everything go back to normal, than another freeze period and so-on..

If I disable CDRW device from control panel, my windows works fine without any freeze and everything is okay. All the problems started after installation of CDRW device and as the problems starts when CDRW is enabled and stops when CDRW is disabled, I put blame everything on CDRW device

I have contacted philips but they did not help much.

My sister has the same computer with same specifications. We bought two identical philips writer for both of us. She has no problems with it at all. But even the CDRW device and specifications of PC's are same, I am having diffuculties. The only difference is, I have XP-Proffesional and she has XP-Home editions.

I manage to burn some CD's without any problem. I amn using last version of Nero software to burn CD's. But as I said, I have to disable CD-Writer unless I am burning CD's. Other times, I disable the drive from control panel and G: drive is disappeared from My computer screen so my pc works fine. You can guess this is very annoying.

Do you thing that it is due to some software problem or XP-proffesional itself? What do you offer? I've tried to set IMAPI settings from msservices to "auto" or "off" but nothing changed.

For the last try, I will format my harddisk and reinstall windows but I am not sure if it helps. I have no chance to test my drive with my sister's computer as she lives in another city very away from me.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well depending upon which LG burner you own, Phillips burners are literally worthless (my honest opinion). Try installing ASPI Layer 4.6 and see if you still encounter the same problem. You "might" move the Phillips (or LG) to your primary ide channel as set to slave as an alternative. In Device Manger (tab folder in dvd\cd-roms), does it say beside Phillips cdrw "this device is working properly"? If so maybe look for a firmware update m8.

Shoey :)

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Seems stupid to suggest this.... is the IDE cable firmly attatched? Have u applied the WindowsXP CD Burning Update? SP1/SP1a? Also your "stutter-freezing" -- could it be background apps (cdrom spinup apps, i think some of the older soundblaster cards had that feature) -- is there a specific service that is eating up ur proc's attention?

4. PeAceR

PeAceR Member

Shoey : Well I think I used a wrong terminology. I mean "LG CDR" for LG-CDROM driver. It is not a CDRW just a CDROM reader.

What do you mean by "worthless" ? Sorry for my english. Do you mean it is no good ? Actually as I said, my sister is using it to burn CDs very nicely and I see the speed and performance on burning CDs' is very nice. Even freezes, CDRW does its primary job very nicely

What is "ASPI" ? How can I install it and from where?

In device manager, there seems to be no problem at all and says working properly. I already made firmware update to solve problem but it does not work.

But the question is : my sister did not do anything, just install as the way I do. No service pack upgrade, no "ASPI" thing, no firmware update but she is very happy with her philips.

Preator : If IDE cable is not attached properly,could it be possible to burn any CD's? As I said, there's no problem with burning CD's or reading CDROMs from driver. But I will check it ..

I tried to close all the applications and programs working behind but has no effect (including antivirus programs etc. )

What is cdrom spin-up? I have MSI mainboard with soundcard included. (I don't have any other sound card attached) Even in safe mode where no program is running behind, problem persists.

5. Praetor

1. aye.... CDR: if you are not referring to media then it would stand for cd-recorder. CDROM Reader is just CDROM.
    2. Phillips burners, blatently put are BAD. Not good. Horrendous (the drive itself as well as the drivers... gosh I remember trying to get an old Phillips burner to work properly.... *shudder*)
    3. For more info on ASPI http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/33849
    4. That's the nature of windows for you. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it dont.
    5. Is this when there is a disc in the drive?
    6. I presume you have already installed the latest mobo drivers? and AC97 (sound chip) drivers?
    7. Not so popular anymore (that i have seen anyways), this is a feature to keep the CD from spinning down (i.e., stop spining). THis is because when a cd stops spinning, in order to read data, it has to spin up again (duh) and this causes delays (in like games for instance). Typical disc spinner-upper tools activate every couple minutes to "give the drive a kick" to keep the disc spinning which would account for your stutter-pauses

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Shoey about the quality of Phillips burners. My first burner was an HP 2x (made by Phillips) which stopped working after less than a year. HP sent me a replacement which died right after the warranty expired. Not realizing that the HP was made by Phillips, I replaced it with a Phillips 8x. That drive never actually stopped working (I gave it to my brother as I would have felt bad charging money for the piece of crap) but it always had problems. It took forever to read a disk when it was first inserted, didn't recognize some brands of media, and if I burned 3-4 disks in a row I would have to turn off the computer so the drive could cool down before burning any more.

I never had the problem you describe but am not surprised by anything a Phillips drive does after the 2 I owned.

7. PeAceR

PeAceR Member

:( sorry for wrong terminology firstly !

the problem persists whether there is a CD in drive or not.

the time period between freezes changes. It always surprise me. I make some experiments on those freeze periods. For example, when I run nero software I get sensation that the freezes become less. When I stop running antivirus (Norton corporate), when I open computer in safe mode etc etc. I got that "sensation". When I did those things firstly I become happy :) ( "Oh yes that is it !! I solve the problem, it is due to antivirus!!" I say to myself .. ) but after a period again freezes happens again and nothing can stop it..

What do you mean "mobo"? "Main Board" ? Well, I did not install any mainboard or sound device driver. Windows XP recognized everything itself and did not require anything else. (this is same as my sister.) Actually I did not know if "mainboard" has drivers? For sound-card, I have driver CD but I did not require that one as windows recognizes soundcard also. Do I have to upgrade sound driver ? for mainboard what kind of driver do I need?

Damn !! A friend of my father offered him that "philips is very good on cd-writers" and he bought a philips to my sister. As device forked fine with her computer I had no doupt to buy one for me also. Even there were many more cheaper products around ( like LG, Yamaha, Samsung etc.. ) I choose philips with expensive amount...

8. Praetor

Yes mobo is short for motherboard (which is the same thing as mainboard)

*SHOCK*

Although it may not be the source of the problem, you are definitely running on crappy "safe" drivers provided by Windows... and just because it works for your sister doesnt mean it will work for you

Well, the onese that came with your mobo would be a good start. BTW, do you have SP1/SP1a? Did you get the CD burning update available from microsoft? Also, it could be your harddrive that is the problem (check the PIO vs DMA settings for your harddrive -- and while you're at it, check it for your optical drives too)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  9. PeAceR

PeAceR Member

ehm.. I feel so primitive on this subject :) Sorry for asking such simple things but I am not expert on hardware. Actually I am a doctor in Turkey. Computer is my biggest leisure activity.

as far as I remember, the driver cd for mainboard containing many different programs and add-ons (i.e. acrobat reader etc..) for not only for just one mainboard but a common driver CD including many drivers. I have to know what kind of hardware exactly I have. Of course it is not your field of help :)) but I will try all the drivers one by one to en up with true driver in Mainboard CD

No I did not setup service packs as you can guess :) Okay I'll download and setup those and CD-burning update.

What do you mean by "optical" device? Scanner? I don't have one..

Actually DMA and PIO settings are away from my knowledge. What is good, the smaller number or greater in bios settings etc etc.. I do have tried to alter those numbers in bios but just by "trial" method I could not reach any achievement.

About ASPI drivers, I have laters nero burning rom program installed. Do I still need other ASPI driver ?

10. Praetor

GOD NO! DO NOT FIDDLE AROUND IMPORTANT SETTINGS LIKE STUFF IN THE BIOS TO TRY STUFF OUT BY TRIAL AND ERROR There is a serious potential to mess stuff up, quite permanantly.

1. Download CPUz (http://drs.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=cpuid/v=2/SID=e/l=WS1/R=1/H=0/*-http://www.cpuid.com/) it will let you know a lot about your computer (all the nitty gritty stuff)
    2. Optical drive: CDROM, CDR, CDRW, and the various DVD types of drives
    3.The CD, once you pop it in the drive should have a very prominant label or button or something that says "Drivers" or something to that effect. Click it and then install the drivers in the order they are listed (typically top to bottom). You may (and probably do need to do reboots between each one). Remember that CPUz program? Fire it up and click on the "Mainboard" Tab, it will list the Manufacterer and the Model of the motherboard. So now if you ever want to check the company website for updates and such, you know what to look for.

4. To check for DMA vs PIO (you want DMA by the way, do the following:
    -Open Control Panel (and goto the "Classic Interface" if need be)
    -Open System Properties
    -Click on the Hardware Tab
    -Click on Device Manager
    -Expand the entry that says IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    -Right Click Primary IDE Channel --> Properties
    -Click Advanced Settings Tab
    -Make sure the two dropdown boxes say "DMA If Possible" the two boxes labeled "Current Transfer Mode" tell you whether the drives are running PIO or DMA (so you will probably see either PIO Mode 4 or DMA Mode 2)
    -Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel
    -Reboot to make sure everything is set
    -Now go back and check: is everything actually using DMA? If so then all is good. If not that means DMA was probably disabled in your BIOS... I can help you dtermine EXACTLY (no guessing required) to check for that but I need to know the make and model of your motherboard (which is what the CPUz program is for)

5. As I said before, more info on ASPI can be garnered here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/33849 If you have Nero InfoTools (found under Nero ToolKit --> IntoTools), fire it up and go to the ASPI tab. Check that the bar at the bottom of that program is GREEN. If not you definitely need to install the ASPI. Even if it is green, I find that (personally) the ASPI is still installed incorrectly and so I cant do everythign with my drive (even though i can still burn and read). For that, just go to the link i gave you and read up on how to install ASPI 4.60 (simple click, click and reboot if i remember correctly)

Good Luck!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  11. PeAceR

PeAceR Member

thank you sooooo much pal ! I am now what you call "doctor on duty" for today and night so I am writing from my duty-room at hospital. My personel computer is at home so when I go to home I will apply everything you said one by one and let you know about the results. Even if I can't fix the CDRW problem I am sure my computer will have a freshment.

I have checked the ASPI related pages and there I saw Nero software includes ASPI driver, that's why I told I have installed latest ASPI driver.

Thank you again for now..

12. Praetor

No problem! Just remember not to mess around with the BIOS without doing your research beforehand. Furthemore keep in mind that even though the Nero InfoTools may say that the ASPI isnt installed correctly -- it may not be (as was my experience). To determine if it is indeed installed correctly, download the ASPI 4.60.... there should be something called ASPICHK ... run this and it will tell you have the correct ASPI installed. I dont think this is the problem but it may just rule out some possibilities.

13. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Guest

Just to let everyone know That I'm having the same exact problem with a philips 8x drive in windows xp professional. This drive worked fin with windows ME then I upgraded. Adaptecs software was incompatible with xp so I used Roxio Got it to recognize the drive but every so often it would just freeze and for no apparent reason! It would always unfreeze say 1 min later but it would do it again over and over! I thought at first it was the dvd drive on here (a compaq comp. also with Ac97 sound) because the light for it (dvd) would go on and one of the drives would start makeing a clicking noise and thats when it would freeze. After trial and error I found out if I disable the philips drive everything worked fine? I'm still working on it. And thank you for your guys postings. It helps to know I'm not the only one getting punished!

14. Praetor

Eeeeek.... make sure that it is indeed your optical drive making those clickin noises and not your harddrive or something!

1. ASPI Update? 4.60?
    2. Try updateing the firmware for your burner (if Phillips even supports their drives hehe)
    3. Does Nero InfoTools recognize your drive?