1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Starview box...

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by tyler2002, Jun 27, 2007.

1. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

I've plugged all the cables in the right place (i think) - but its not picking up any channels...(the signal is at 0%)

So i checked the firmware and its still got the original firmware (factory settings, v1.1 or something) on it.

So do i need to install the newest firmware before it picks up any new channels even though the cables are all plugged in correctly?

Many Thanks

2. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

are you using a split cable if so bring the box away from the split cable and connect it to the main n*L cable (from the box on the wall).and in system information it shouldn't say v1.1 it should have 2.58 2.57 or 2.59.

3. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

Well, where my box is on the wall, 2 cables come out of it...one goes into my Modem, and the other into the Set Top Box.

All i did, was unscrew the cable from the original Set Top Box, and screw it into my Starview box...

I also routed the aerial connection etc through the Starview box, and that all seems to work fine.

On my Starview box i have 2 Cable Inputs (namely Cable Input 1 & Cable Input 2) - im gathering i just plug the connection straight from my original Set Top Box into Cable Input 1 - right?

4. whippet1

whippet1 Member

if you want to run 2 starview boxes from the same feed then put the cable into the cable in on your main box then run a length of coax to the second box the 1st end plug into your main box at the cable out socket then connect the other end to the 2nd box via cable in socket.

as for no picture are you sure youve connected the cable to the CABLE IN socket and not the Arial in Socket? they are both the same fitting.

5. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

Well i dont really need the original Virgin box anymore, so i wont need to run a link between the two...

The thing that i found strange tho, was that there wasn't an actual coax connection on the Starview box (are they all like this?) The box came with an adapter, which consists of a coax connection on one end (which i plugged the cable connection into) and an Aerial connection on the other end (which i plugged into the Cable 1 Input, on the back on the box)

I must be going wrong somewhere along the line =/

6. cactikid

cactikid Active member

tyler2002 did u try putting the co axial[tv lead] into cable input and see if u have signal? could you be on mmds [check your n*l bill]??

7. whippet1

whippet1 Member

all starviews have an adaptor as they are factory fitted with the normal arial type fitting

8. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

^ Ok, thought so...

This may sound like a stupid question, i dont know much about electrics...The starview box came with a two pin plug, now obviously that doesnt fit in UK plug sockets, so i just used an adapter to get it working...however, it kept blowing the fuses on the adapaters (much to my dismay) - so i looked at the fuses on the adapters and they are only 1amps...with the two pin plug on the Starview being 2.5amps (so i gathered thats why they're blowing, duh).

But my question is, would this actually be the cause to any of my problems? Because as it stands, i cant update the box via USB or R232 (doesnt get detected).

I thought if i stuck on a UK 3 pin plug (which came in the box) - would that help it?

9. MAINAMN

MAINAMN Active member

You would need the box to be on standby, so if the fuses keep blowing, the box would be knocked off when you try to download onto it . So you will need the proper plug !

10. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

Thats the thing tho, even when the box WAS on standby (just had the clock on the front of the box, thats standby right?) i still couldnt update...i'd plug in the R232, get the little downloader app, with the v4 firmware (Its a real box, ive checked) - the downloader just cant detect my box.

Ive even tried another PC - but to no avail.

With hindsight i thought as the adapater obviously wasnt the right one, could this mean the box wouldnt function correctly? i.e. certain parts inside not receiving enough power maybe?

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Just put a 13amp 3 pin plug on it. Updating problem sounds like you have not got the right upload lead. If it did not come with the box as you said you are using an rs232 leads. It is rs232 but it is a null modem type with a cross connect in the config of the cable. See link below for info:

Null modem info here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

12. tyler2002

tyler2002 Member

Well, good news from the front.

Stuck a UK plug on the box, and managed to update it (woo hoo)...so all is good there (thanks to all those that helped)

Have another question tho - didnt think you was gunna get away that easily did ya ;)

I have the PVR box, so i can record etc, but when im recording and change to another channel, i cant watch that channel - i realise this is because there is no "feed". But can anyone inform me as to what cable i would need to buy? Im gathering its some kind of splitter?