1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 30, 2004.

1. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

$4,000 ...or about there

2. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Actually I Have a better Idea! Praetor you know i have and xp2000+ at the momentwell i like thatcase (zorro) I have a good pioneer dvd burner and a good liteon combo drive. I have a descent run of the mill 17 inch monitor a Hitachi Deskstar7K250 80 GB 256 DDR SDRam 3200 a Asrock K7VM4 so why not just upgrade that? The parts i dont need eg my processor and what ever else you think and build a 2nd pc? so amd 64 is out the picture and am leaning towards the 2500+ barton?

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I would have suggested that a long time ago :p All you need to upgrade really are
    - Mobo, jump up to the ASUS A7N8X or some other nForce2 mobo by ASUS or Abit
    - Video Card ... you have the budget so you might as well indulge yourself once
    - CPU, you might want to go for the XP3200 since it is a genuiun 400Mhz bus but you can always OC that if you want
    - RAM, get yourself some good dual channel ram, a 1GB should be sufficient
    - Sound, get an actual soudncard if youd like
    - Keep everything else :)

4. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yep that would b ur best bet, take the good shit out of ur exising, build that up 2 a sweet PC then get wat u need 2 make the 2nd... that would work out cheaper for ya... More money left over :D

Regards
    CoZZa

5. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Well so far i came up with this, buy new motherboard as praetor suggests, get 1 1GB Memory, xp 2500+ barton, geforce fx 5200?
    Then by all the other components i need to make a secnd pc

6. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yep, sounds good, so basically all u need is the other stuff ur not upgrading for the other pc :p

Regards
    CoZZa

7. Praetor

Dont get an FX5200 ... thats POS (think of it as the FX version of the GF4MX add DirectX9 and subtract performance).

If you want to do overclocking I would prolly go with the XP2800 -- typically it works out a lot better and you can more reasonably hit XP3400 with that... ive got some issues hitting past XP3400 with this machine so i dont bother.

8. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

ok 2800 is and ati radeon 9600 what can you oc the xp3000 to?

9. Praetor

You can prolly OC the XP2800 just as far as the XP3x00 (with exception of maybe the XP3200 itself which may have a different OC cap on it due to a native 400Mhz support). With proper cooling and voltage tweaks you can prolly easily touch XP3400 with a XP2800

10. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

what i mean is if i have lets say xp3200+ what can i overclock that to?

11. Praetor

1. There is no hard and fast way to determine that.
    2. Ive said it before Ill say it again, OCing is a delicate task and not something that "you just do" (ok you can but not for more than a minor OC) .. the OC cap is heavily dependent on the EXACT motherboard and proc you have as well as your memory and some other stuff. Two guys can buy the same model of motherboard yet one guy gets 400Mhz OC and the other guy only 150Mhz. When people (myself included) say "You can OC that to such-and-such" thats just a guess -- and educated guess (hopefully) -- but a guess nonetheless
    3. Since the XP3200 is the end of the XP line, i wouldnt expect a lot of headroom, prolly 100Mhz, maybe 200Mhz.

12. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

what type of cooling are u using?

13. Praetor

Right now Ive got a Thermaltake Silentboost K7 mounted and using various clips and duct tape and twist-ties, I have a Volcano7+ fan forcing air into the Silentboost as well although eventually i think ill mount a Volcano12 on top of the silentboost if they are the same size (which i think they are)

14. john179

john179 Active member

Ok as you are in the uk there is a great place to go for a top of the range pc's at great prices + some great advise.If you have a Nothern computer show near you which is the largets computer market in europe go and have a look.You will find the prices are really the best you will find around.Last time i was on there was some high spec amd 3200+ for less than £400.This included 160gb 512mb one of the latest graphic cards.Writers were not included but could be added.You can have them tailor make it to what you want.Have a look it's worth a visit.All the dealers on there are from reputable pc suppliers who are also avialble to visit at there shops or on line.

15. Praetor

But as the general guide with computers go its usually a good idea to go there already knowing exactly what you want and approximately how much it is going to cost you -- everyone else it (rather, enough of them are) so you dont want to be at too much of a disadvantage.

john179 : this computershow, what's it called? I faintly recall it starting with the letter 'B'

16. john179

john179 Active member

Spot on mate to all us local guy's it is known with the letter B.I also totally agree with you as it would be a mad thing to do going some where without considering what you want out of your new pc and how much you want to pay.For most of us we can't afford to change pc's every five minutes.So it is one of those things you do with a lot of thought.This is good advise you mention my man and i hope it is taken.I know the very first pc i purchased i waited months until i could get the deal i wanted before i purchased.

17. erichm

erichm Guest

If you are looking to overclock an athlon xp processor, check out the mobile 2500. They operate at a lower voltage at the same speed as the desktop version. Plus the multipliers are unlocked. My freind is running his at 2.5 ghz right now on air cooling.

This doesn't mean that everyone can get it that high, but it has a lot more headroom. Even more than my 3000 with a 400 fsb. And I'm watercooling. I am getting a vapo pretty soon here so we will see how far that we can push that 3000.

18. Praetor

Isnt the XP3000 runing on a 333 bus?

19. erichm

erichm Guest

No, Mine is a 400 fsb version. It's kind of rare but you can find them. All multipliers are unlocked as well:)

20. Praetor

Well some of the desktop Barton2500s have unlocked multipliers too ... or did i unlock mine ... i dont think i did ... but mine are unlocks so i guess it must have come unlocked.