1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my pc

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by gtafanboy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

ok this is a big change for me in gaming. ive always been a console gamer, never ever played on pc, because i always just got a pc that could run and never thought about gaming. Well ive been loving my ps3, but been bored since im waiting for rsv2.

well i bought cs 1.6 for pc and absolutely love it. its really opened my eyes to pc gaming. now im thinking about switching to pc.. but wanna make sure my pc can handle the big games.. how would this be for a pc?

Vista
    Amd Athlone dual core processor 64 x 2 4000+
    8800 gts (512)
    3 gb ram.

how would that be for gaming? could it handle every single game out?

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the only game you can't max out is crysis, but even using the best components can't max it out on a high resolution.

any other questions, ask in the pc section, as they are more experienced with computer parts.

3. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

so its a really good pc?

4. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I'd suggest an Intel Core 2 Duo Exxx instead of an AMD, and an 8800GT 512MB instead of that GTS, the new GTS is only marginally better and is more expensive. But yes, it's a good system, and it's your PC, so go with an AMD and the GTS if you want, just suggestions.

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

if your 8800GTS is the G92 version (which it should be since you have the 512 version), it's better than the regular 8800GT. it has better cooling because of the big heatsink.

i had the eVga 8800GT, but i brought it back to the store and picked up the ATi HD3870 512 (i'm more on picture quality than speed). runs cooler, quieter, and uses less power when doing daily tasks. then it kicks in automatically to it's overclocked settings when gaming.

you can swap your x2 4000+ for something higher, like a 4800+ or 5000+, but most members would recommend building a computer from scratch instead of upgrading a prebuilt. your choice if you want to upgrade more or to build one from scratch.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

see i dont wanna mess too much with my pc. It is for the whole family, and i found that putting a gfx card in would be a whole lot easier and some ram. If i can play the top of the line crysis game on med-high, id rather not screw around with anything too unfamiliar

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

If you're going to upgrade your present PC with an 8800 GTS then check that your power supply is at least rated 450 Watts.

8. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

yes, a quality psu is needed. NEVER go cheap on one. antec, corsair, thermaltake, and seasonic are some of the brands to go for.

most members would recommend THIS unit. very reliable. it's a modular unit, meaning you only use cables you need.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008