1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My pet hates in forum posts

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Indochine, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I know. I was quoting you, as supporting me, against rdmercer1, who seemed to think that I should not have started this thread. Wasn't that clear?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not really, but then again, i've been awake for 4 days, and i've had 12 pints of murphy's irish red...
    In short, pay no mind to me, i'm plastered

3. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I have found it annoying that you can pretty much talk about anything in the safety and then someone says "You cant talk about this" or my personal favourite which is abused daily "This is a tech forum not a.....". This rule seems to vary depending on who stated the non tech thread.

Another pet hate is the "This is a pointless thread" comment and then a request to close it. A lot of posts are pointless like this one, however who am i to say its pointless.

Lastly (And this is going to get me a kicking) The overly long titles to posts. My new post is going to be
    "The fence is tall, the sky is blue, i painted my dog, knick knack paddy whack give the dog a bone and lets all talk about dual core processors"

Be Gentle

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, my drunken friend, no ass is smarter than yours. ^.^

*edit*
    you rarely see the "this is a tech forum not a..." blah lines inside the safety valve. it's the morons who post stuff that doesn't belong in other forums that fall under fire of that one. and we've pretty much got a thread for everything already, so like with cars, say, as we had one closes just yesterday about it...well, we've got two cars threads, at least one open and at least 12 pags long....one just has to look.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  5. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Then I must be drunk as well, before readin further down, I though that he was attacking his own thread! Oh well, Goodnight!

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@nicht...I like the quote in your sig; Ben Franlkin was a wise ol'bird!

7. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

"The World's a stage, and all the men and women merely players, each man has his exits and entrences, and in his time each man plays many parts." ~Pieter Vernon (Nicht) 2007 XD Go sheakspere!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei

Something I live by, Oppositley of course.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

"What does it matter who wins in the parade of life, when the reviewing stand is filled with corpses ?"

Whoever guesses the author of that quote, is a wise man (or woman) indeed.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Anton Szandor LaVey.. born Howard Stanton Levey (11 April 1930 – 29 October 1997)

But then again you would expect a goth to know of him..

hehehehe.. I wins.. I says Ar*e

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland...pretty stange stuff there but megets enough of those types at work. If not you, then someone gave me a good idea about putting an ejector seat in my office. Once the wierdness starts, just push a button which catapolts them out of the ceiling and then yell "next" LOL! Methinks James Bond had one in the passenger seat of his car (or was it Maxwell Smart, I forget).

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Janrocks....Anton LeVey as in the Satanic Bible? LOL! I read that many years ago when I was a theology student. Surely he's a corps himself by now! But there are better than LeVey like Dennis WHeatly or Alertier Crowley (Diary of a Drug Fiend / Magik etc).

Now, if you're into occult novels, read a guy named Dennis Wheatley though his books aren't easy to find. He was into occult big time but also a novelist. And while they're nowhere near as graphic as the modern stuff you read (The Exorcist and the like), his stuff is real and his novels will make your skin crawl! My favorite was a book called "The Devil Rides Out". The style takes a little getting use to as it is late style victorian in style but once you're use to it, the stuff is awesome! (No one writes like the Brits!) Anyway, if you're into that sort of stuff, the authenticity behind his writing is the source of the impact on the reader ... not graphic words or scenes. He was in an occult sect called Order of the Golden Dawn along with Alestier (Sp?) Crowley but got thrown out for writing of its secrets in his novels.

13. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Or anyone who types "What does it matter who wins in the parade of life" into Google?

14. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

My mother is a Dennis Wheatley addict.

15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

16. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  17. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

This is why it is utterly useless to try and make a 'saftey valve' thread stay on topic. Hurrah

EDIT:
    Ich bin der idiot XD

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Did you see my edit? I clicked it after I posted and there it was.. before it was just the rest of the amazon and links to the "find nothing" quotation searching sites.. I didn't need google. I am very familiar with this man, his associations and work thanks. I met him in 1988 in San Fransisco, some bar called something like..Transmission or similar on 11th st.
    Not as well known as Aleister Crowley or John Dee, but up there with the best of the mid/late 20th century non-conformists.

it is dangerous to assume everyody obtains every piece of knowledge from the internet. Some of us had unusual upbringings which included an education in non-conformist beliefs..

As this thread was about annoyances on forums this is another

peeve 61# Cocky c**** who think they know it all, and expose their ignorance every step of they way..

Do not fall into the trap of assumption. It only leads to embarrasment when you find out that the person you are playing with has probably been further, and forgotten more than you will ever know.
    As an adult and a parent I'm going to leave you to consider that while I return to my sea of sanity on a planet of senseless, egalitarian morons with delusions of unearned big shot-ism.