1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY PROBLEM WITH DVD SHRINK 3.2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adam280, Dec 16, 2004.

1. adam280

adam280 Member

Hello everyone. I have followed the DVD shrink guide to backup my dvds, and it burns me a dvd. BUT, the dvd i create, does not play in my home dvd player.
    It will play on my computer, but prompts me with the message:

"This DVD title's playback was interrupted before completion. Where would you like to start playback?

-Play DVD title from the beginning
    -Resume playback from last scene"

But according to shrink, the backing up was successful?

Anybody know why this is happening?

Many thanks, Adam.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

System specs would help. Along with decent media (NOT princo or memorex) Also try using RW media, cuts down the chance of coasters! You could have compatibility issues with your standalone, but it looks like Shrink did not work properly.
    When you read/burn don't forget to disable your anti-virus, also your PC will not like multi-tasking whilst burning. In fact do not even touch your PC when you are burning.
    Welcome to the world of burning. Read the guides in this forum, there are loads to look at. Scubapete is one to look out for, he is THE shrink master!
    Perserverence is without doubt the key!

3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

How old and what kind is your standalone unit? Some of the older ones aren't capable of reading all the new media types such as -r +r +-rw etc etc... If it plays on your PC dvd drive ok, sounds like it is a compatibility issue with your SA dvdplayer.

4. adam280

adam280 Member

Thankyou for your responses,
    My system specs im sure are fine as i have been successful before, but now it doesnt seem to work.
    I have a AMD athlon XP2600+ 1.92ghz, and 512MB of RAM. Also, im pretty sure the media is ok, as i am aware of brands to avoid.
    Also, i have tryed it on many of my stand alone DVD players, and none of them work. Don't suppose you have anymore ideas anyone, as i am really stuck!

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK then, do you de-frag & disc clean up regularly? Do you have adaware & spybot installed? these are tops for keeping your system bug (& cookie) free?

6. evrsnceve

evrsnceve Member

I have the exact same problem with DVD Shrink. I have a Dell XPS, so everything should be OK with my system. I burned a DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean following several of the online tutorials I found, and everything seemed to be in perfect order. I selected Nero to make the burn, and it went smoothly. When inserted into my computer, the Dell DVD software comes up, and it plays, menus & all, just like the original. But when inserted into a stand alone DVD player, it doesn't read it at all. I am so frustrated because it takes such a long time to do, and I'm not getting any results!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot!

7. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

Determine which DVD format your DVD player accepts. Some will only play DVD- disc's. Others will only play DVD+ disc's. Many newer ones will play both. You may have to consult the DVD player's owners manual.

And of course the media may be the culprit.

8. evrsnceve

evrsnceve Member

The DVD's I burned played in my computer, and everyone else's DVD players, but mine. I guess it was just old. I went and picked up a scratch & dent for $40, and all my burned DVD's play like a dream!! Perfect copies of the originals!! DVD Shrink is great! I just wish I could keep the menu's and get that compression ratio up a little bit. Some movies have such extensive menu's, that in order to keep them, you bring your ratio down into the 40-50% range!! Oh well, small price to pay for DVD's!!!

9. RussReef

RussReef Guest

40%-50% range is ridiculous! Just hit the 'Reauthor' button in DVDshrink and double-click on 'Title 1' to grab the main movie only. You'll lose the menus, but who cares about menus. Also, be sure you're only grabbing one audio stream. Ditch the ones you're never going to listen to (like the director's commentary in "Navy Seals" LOL!). Also, ditch all foreign language sub-titles.

Lastly, hit the 'Set Start/End Frames' button (button with two blue arrows facing each other, to the right of the [red 'X'] erase button), and set your end frame to where the credits first start rolling... I mean, who looks at credits anyway? That will save you TONS of space! :)

If Shrink still wants to compress by 40-50% after all that, then split your movie into two equal halves (using Start/End Frames button), and burn it to two separate DVD's. [I've only had to do this for LONG movies like "the Godfather"]

10. evrsnceve

evrsnceve Member

Well, the DVD's I have burned this way so far, the only one that the picture was noticeably different, was Troy, and that was a long movie. The subtitles at the bottom were a little distorted. Other than that, compressing it to save the menu functionability isnt all that bad. It's an even trade off. Now, if I had a big screen TV, the difference might be more evident. But until then, Im happy so far!