1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my wd 200gb drive died... how?!?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by coustou, Jul 27, 2007.

1. coustou

coustou Member

i have had a very bad string of luck. a few weeks ago my seagate sata 320gb drive died out of no where. now my western digital 200gb sata drive has died. it was working as of 30 minutes ago, i rebooted to plug in a new hard drive which required me switching some of the power cables around. now the drive wont spin. what in the hell is going on here? does anyone here know about reviving dead drives? maybe a drive recovery lab that wont cost me out the ass. anything, ive lost close to 400gigs of data in less than a month. im about to shoot myself, someone throw me a bone here if they can. thanks

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

it might not be the drive that is dead, could be that there is somethign wrong with the wire you pluged into it. Just try switching the wire with a different one

3. coustou

coustou Member

i tested it with my external hard drive bridge, it wouldnt even spin. i immediately plugged up the new drive, and it worked perfectly. any suggestions?

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Using a voltmeter I would look at the power supply. There should be two different voltages. One should be 5V and the other 12V.While the system is running keep the volt meter on and watch the voltage. look for sudden rising or lowering. A sudden spike can damage the HD power supplies to the spindle or arms (needles) If this did cause the damage then the HD will no longer work no matter where you plug it in. Also if this is the issue then the result would reflect in any power connection you check.

IT sound as if a drive is working or you would not be able to boot your system to check the drives unless you are using another system so this may not be the cause. It worth looking into though. Point is your system is causing this problem and power issues is a logical explination.

Not to make anyone sound stupid but check the power with voltmeter on the white (sometimes grey) plugs inside the system. Hope this helps.

-Del

5. coustou

coustou Member

that would all be fine and dandy, however i am using the SATA power connectors, so testing the voltage is not really an option. and these drives i am speaking of are extra storage drives. my computer's main hard drive is fine (i hope i dont jinx it).

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps there's a dodgy cable from your power supply. I had an adapter cable I used to attach two Hard drives to another PC of mine, and it turns out the 5V and 12V were kind of shorted together. Turning the PC on instantly fried both drives.