1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My windows XP willnot play DVDs how can I fix it

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mlbau, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mlbau

mlbau Member

For some reason my computer will not play DVDs anymore, the auto rum function seems to have stopped, what does come up is the disc files not the movie ( copied or original).
    I have gone to my comp./cd,dvd/properties/autorun. but ticking the boxes and changes nothing, the drop down window there only shows music files, video and pictures and music cd... no DVD mentioned. not sure if this is right, and even if I change the open with it goes back to music files......How can I get my computer to autostart a DVD or even give me the open with window?
    tried it with CD does the same thing................

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No help here but I'll be following this thread pretty closely. I have exactly (not just close) the same problem since replacing two optical drive's. Went ide to ide, tried SATA but Window's wouldn't even recognize them (the Bios and device manager did). I'm starting to suspect my Motherboard but it function's fine otherwise and all was fine before changing anything and still is if I switch drive's to my old one's. Not much use playing a DVD vob by vob, have you recently changed your drive?

3. mlbau

mlbau Member

No I havent changed any hardware but I'm suspecting that about the time this began I installed CloneDVD and slyfox anyDVD...... but that is only a suspection at this time..... uninstalling made no difference.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Well, I've had both those program's for year's and never saw any conflict there. One interesting thing is I use an imaging program to switch back and forth between Vista and XP. Vista won't even recognize the new ide writer's but XP does and install's them and then Vista will see them but still want's their driver's installed even though they are. Something's wacky but no idea what. Uninstalling and reinstalling driver's didn't help but maybe check device manager and make sure thing's are fine there. I don't have much use for System Restore but it may correct thing's, don't know if it's going to delete any data you've added since the last Restore Point.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

This is the content in my list
    music files
    pictures
    video files
    mixed content
    Music CD
    DVD Movie
    HD Movie
    The interesting thing here is the HD Movie,that is not supported by xp so either a ripping prog has placed it there or a media player,that goes for DVD's i'm sure wmp doesn't play them in standard form,in your case i think your default media player has changed

@
    mistycat
    what do you mean an imaging program to switch back n forth ? since when did they have dual booting control

6. mlbau

mlbau Member

mine is missing the last two
    DVD Movie
    HD Movie
    maybe why they donot find the DVD..... the question is how do I return them.

7. mlbau

mlbau Member

8. mlbau

mlbau Member

I also found out that the administrator settings can have some berring on this issue, so i cheched my settings, all seemed normal there, so i thought i would rest it for a while and ran Malawrebutyes to check for any nasties...... and now....HELP

My computer has locked me out, when I restarted it, it now is asking me for a password I do not use a password to start my computer, so anything I type in will not work, just before I closed it down I ran Malwarebytes and removed a few malware progs. and them was asked to restart to remove them..... now I cannot get back in with out a password.... can anyone help to get in and fix this problem.

9. solsunftm

solsunftm Member

Can you get into your computer by booting into safe mode and accessing the administrator account which, if you have not changed it should not have a password.

10. jodav

jodav Regular member

If you need to reset your password you could download hiren boot CD here, burn the ISO to disc, boot to it and use active password changer to reset it.

For your Autoplay problem, Check it is not a changed registry setting, create a system restore point (so you can revert any changes back if you mess up) and then

Open regedit, Select Edit\Find and copy in NoDriveTypeAutoRun

Change key NoDriveTypeAutoRun hex value to 00000095 (Vista 00000091) if it is not already set on that.

Log off and then back on again.

11. mlbau

mlbau Member

I got back in through safe start..... and now am going through a clean out with anti malaware, anti spy ware, and anti virus..... I went looking for answers to my problem all over the net and collected some nastie add ons..... I think that is what messed me up

12. jodav

jodav Regular member

Yes good idea to do full virus\spyware scans. May be still a good idea to check that reg setting has not been altered by Virtual CD software etc, as that is what happened to my VISTA laptop a couple of months ago.

Hope you get it sorted either way.

13. mlbau

mlbau Member

Nod is going through my machine at this moment and everything seems to be infected with a "Win32/Virut NBP virus" I mean everything in my program flies Nod says it can clean them but it is taking some time.......... My warning is BEWARE.......,

14. mlbau

mlbau Member

I have a question here I am using my laptop to comunicate this message and my laptop has AVG anti virus and is clear, my desk top is where all the problems are I use Nod anti virus there both have been in simular places..............?is one better than the other?

15. jodav

jodav Regular member

I am not to fermilular with NOD and it is not one that has come up in conversation about antivirus software like AVG, Avast, Norton and others. so i would suggest AVG is the better. At the end of the day none of them are foolproof (not even close), especially protecting against downloads or executables that we click OK on and rootkit. Common sense is just as, if not more important, googling things like add ons, free programs etc before installing them is common sense that we are all guilty of ignoring at times at our peril.

That looks like a nasty infection you have after doing a quick search on it and may be a pain to completely get rid. Some things that may help are

Avira rescue disc
    Malware bytes (you have)
    Combo fix
    Hiren boot disc (boot to mini XP and run all the virus scanners)

If you have big problems getting rid of it, it may be an idea to post it in the antivirus section of the forum with a hijack this file. Hopefuly you wont need to when you have ran a few different virus scanners.

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No dual booting, I use Acronis True Image to restore between XP/Vista image's, take's only a few minute's. I too tried the MS tool with no luck but the registry fix seem's to have sorta worked. One drive will autoplay DVD with WMP while the other will if opened from My Computer. You seem to have a wack of malware milbau, Nod 32 is one of those AV's that people either love or hate. A few online scanner's I've used in the past are Dr Web's Cureit, Panda Activescan or Trend Housecall. A hijack This log in the malware section is a good idea.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ mysty
    OK
    I have autoplay disabled so i can't really answer there,however have you thought of installing k-lite as wmp doesn't support dvd playing until codec packs are installed once k-lite is there wmp should play everything

@ mlbau
    refrain from double posting,if no one has answered use the edit button it's to the right of every post you make on the same line your handle names is.
    You've got malware huh,if there's nothing you really need on that comp do a reformat & reinstall it'll be faster in the long run
    & more stable,there's a freeware called macrium reflect it's an imaging program it would pay to use it.

Use avast antivirus it's a realtime scanner
    spywareterminater with HIPS enabled in basic mode is good also
    firewall-i use windows but for you i'd suggest comodo
    The above 3 progs are really strong perhaps a bit overkill however since you have been severley infected it would pay to use them untill such time you become more competent on a computer

18. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I never use WMP but it's the only DVD player that show's up to autoplay DVD. Nero Showtime is also an option but was uninstalled some time ago which is pretty odd. I have used K-Lite in the past but now prefer just the XVID codec installed, it play's 95% of avi anyway. As far as player's, I prefer to use MPC but that option never returned. Whatever this is, it's one of the the wierdest thing's people have seen and make's no sense at all. Thank's

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That option never returned ? regarding mpc what does that mean.The only time i have issues with all players is when upgrading my graphic card,i literally can't use any new drivers for the card as it just messes up all my media players,either they won't load or if they load they seize or there'll be no picture etc,etc,so i'm stuck with the original cd drivers & software & it goes for all my comps

20. mistycat

mistycat Active member

MPC-Media Player Classic Nope, the option for it never returned (which is installed) but there is an empty one for Nero player (which was but no longer is installed). The open with option for MPC is available for file's on my HDD. I'd suspect Nero but I used the Nero Clean Tool to remove Showtime as well as 3 registry cleaner's. milbau, do you have any version of Nero Showtime installed, strange anything from Nero show's up? I remember Showtime did but I don't remember the other's from Nero. Edit: I rake it back, may have something to do with Nero. Just restored an image from age's ago, long before part's of Nero were ever uninstalled and both drive's and autoplay function perfectly. Nero 6 with Nero Showtime 2 here but only been back a few minute's.