1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My xbox has stopped working!??!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by GPX_TIPSY, Apr 2, 2005.

1. GPX_TIPSY

GPX_TIPSY Member

xbox will power up but no signal is being sent to my TV and it will not let me open the DVD drive either! The light flashes whilst it "tries" to open the dvd drive then stops and the drive doesnt open. I can hear it make a noise as if it is trying.

Any ideas? One day it was working, the next it had stopped working.
    Tried it in 2 different TVs just in case but still no joy.

TIA.

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I just had a problem like that yesterday. It would not boot up,not even to the bios. (this one was an unmodded xbox though) I found that if you let the hard drive spin up,then turn the machine off and wait till its about to totally spin down....hit the power button again and sometimes mine would boot up. Judging by what I went through,it was either the hard drive failing or something was wrong with the stock bios. I'm leaning towards the bios failing,cause as soon as I got the box flashed....it boots everytime. I mean...if it wasn't a bios problem I would at least get an error.

3. GPX_TIPSY

GPX_TIPSY Member

Thanks.
    So how do I get my XBox "flashed"? It is an unmodded xbox. cheers.

4. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

how exactly would your bios fail? Thats like saying data on a DVD could fail (assuming no scratches or smudges) It wont happen. Did you ever open your xbox? If you do not have the cables pluged in the back of the DVD drive all the way it could cause that problem.

5. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I dunno,but if the bios wasn't failing...then you would get an error message on an unmodded xbox. Since I wasn't getting one,that would make sense. Also the spindown factor would suggest a hard drive failure.....you be the judge.

P.S. xbox's have had a history of hard drive failures,and a power surge would effect the bios in a way....so since I don't know what the xbox's history is I am going on what the xbox is doing.

And yes I did all the simple tests first......trust me I know what I'm doing here. the main thing is that it worked out fine.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005