1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N00bie (dvd wont play on home dvd player?)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by richw, Apr 13, 2004.

1. richw

richw Member

Greetings,

My apologies in advance, this is not my field, I am working on a 1 time project.

I filmed 4 days of presentations. I edited them using Microsoft Movie Maker. I saved them as windows movie files. I burned them to a DVD as data files.

They will not play on my home DVD player. I have to make about 20 copies which were sold, and I need them to play on home dvd players.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I bought nero ultimate package V6 today, hoping that might help. :)

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

DVD-Video need to be as .VOB .BUP .IFO file format

[bold]A typical VIDEO_TS folder of a DVD is similar to[/bold] :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

You can encode original files to MPEG2 (I use MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.4 for this) , then convert to VOB format (I use TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5)...
    Then burn all VOB/BUP/IFO files using Nero (DVD-Video mode , drag n drop all files to red VIDEO_TS folder & burn).

Hope this helps !: ]-~

3. daba

daba Guest

Hi richw,

As you did buy Nero 6, you can do the whole job with NVE (NeroVision Express, shipped with Nero 6):
    - import the WMV files
    - convert them to MPEG/VOB
    - create the corresponding IFO and BUP files
    - burn them all

[bold]But[/bold] the image quality of NVE does not compare with a standalone MPEG-2 encoder such as MainConcet Encoder, TMPGEnc or CCE (CinemaCraft Encoder). I compared NVE and CCE, and CCE's image is obviously better. You can see the difference on a regular TV.

Be aware the MPEG encoder is not enough. You also need a DVD authoring tool, such as TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD-Lab. Thus the procedure to get your DVD is more complex (and more expensive) but you'll get the best quality possible.

NeroVision is an all-in-one tool (just import your files anc click Next a few times) and you don't have to spend more money, but the image quality is average. It's up to you.

There is a 3rd way: MainConcept has just released version 2 of their video editing tool: EVE (Easy Video Editing). For 70 $, you get a tool that works like Movie Maker but can also encode to MPEG-2 and author a DVD. I'm testing it these days but I didn't compare the quality with CCE and NVE yet.

At last, whether you choose a standalone encoder or NVE or EVE, you should not work with WMV files. [bold]If[/bold] you captured your movie as AVI, you should re-export your Movie Maker project to AVI files, because you'll get better image quality if you encode to MPEG-2 from AVI files rather than from WMV files. Of course, if you captured as WMV directly, it's pointless to re-export the project to AVI files (you have lost the original image quality anyway) unless the MPEG-2 encoder doesn't accept WMV files.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2004
  4. richw

richw Member

Herbsman,

Thanks for the useful information! Your comments are the kind of roadmap I was hoping for!

Daba,

Likewise, thank you very much for adding options!!

A few more questions. (I looked in Movie Maker, okay, no Mpeg save option)

1, If I have saved my original work as a Microsoft Movie Project, have I already lost the data? If I open those projects, which I did save, and save the files as AVI, will I still be working with my best choice for quality? (Otherwise, I need to decide between editing a second time, very unlikely and accepting the reduced quality of the saved projects)

2, Could you comment back on MainConcept ASAP? I may gambe and buy it anyway, so any comments you have from use to date would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the beginner level input!!

5. herbsman

MainConcept MPEG Encoder:
    http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_encoder.shtml

It is a bit expensive at $149 , but it is a first class encoder ... especially concerning speed / video quality / ease of use !: )

I am in U.K so I set output to be :
    [bold]DVD[/bold] (it'll be MPEG2 file but DVD complaint - ie; 48000hz audio & the right resolution screensize).
    [bold]PAL[/bold] (obviously set to NTSC if in USA or Japan).
    [bold]Layer 2 [/bold] (audio)
    [bold]Program[/bold] (video+audio)

* There is a demo version available but it leaves watermarks...

6. daba

daba Guest

MainConcept's video editing tool (EVE) contains a [bold]limited[/bold] version of their MPEG encoder. So for 70 $ you get video editing [bold]and[/bold] MPEG encoding.

@richw:
    If the video files you are working on in Movie Maker are AVI, then it's worth exporting your project to an AVI file. If your video files are WMV, you've lost image quality definitively and you [bold]will not[/bold] recover it by exporting to AVI.

I'll let you know my experience with EVE as soon as I test it further.

Cheers.

7. herbsman

I'd be interested to know what you make of EVE too [bold]daba[/bold] , please do update to us after testing...

8. richw

richw Member

Guys,
    I thank you much for your help here...

Some stranger somewhere sometime will receive favor from me in return for your kindness.

Best Regards,
    Rich W

9. daba

daba Guest