1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N64 ROMs

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Thinkdiff, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff Member

Hey,

I have a GC with a Viper installed and was wondering how to play N64 ROMs on the GC. I have used a few of the ISOs that are out there that have games on them.. they all seem to use the DOL from the Zelda Disc.. Where can I get that DOL? Or is there another way to play them.

Thanks.

2. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

HATE TO SY THIS M8 BUT I WAS LOOKIN INTO THE SAME THING JUST GROUP PROGRAMMERS KNOW HOW TO DO THIS IT AINT NO SIMPLE TASK IT REQUIRES ALOT OF PROGRAMMIN I LOOKED IT UP

3. westies

westies Member

I think there's a loader called GCSM (no, not GCSIM) with an N64 emulator built in. I saw it on IRC but havent tried it as I have no way of loading DOLs right now.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ JAYSUN33

Let's lay off the all caps shall we? ;)

5. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

caps??????????????

6. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

ahhh caps ok will do

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thanks champ :)

8. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

well i never thought id do it but i have it was quite simple actually all u need mate is a program called gc-tool this is a program for extracting gcm files use one of your existing n64 games gcm be it mario kart or mario 64 whatever and just change the n64 rom 4 another after extracting it then repack as a gcm and burn it i have made my own copys of body harvest blast corps and banjo kazooie and they all work fine :) p.s remember to back up your original gcm file b4 altering it.

9. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

It's even simpler than that :) You do not need a BBA to do this. Make sure you have hidden files enabled. Get phoenix, go to the tab that says loaders and click the top drop down menu to nintendo 64. Choose rom and click load. PSOLoad will try to load it, now go to the folder where the phoenix exe is located and there will be a hidden file called n64.iso. Copy and paste this to the desktop then rename it "*.gcm" and vwallah! (i dont know how to spell it)

10. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

soccer boi what is pheonix? i have a viper installed what way can i do the method you described using pheonix and my viper?

11. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff Member

Phoenix is the bootloader used in the Phantasy Star Online method of booting backups. You should be able to find it if you search on google a bit.. His post is detailing exactly what you would have to do to make it work with viper.. just do what he said, and when you get the .iso, burn it to a DVD and boot it on the GC.

12. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

it's pretty hard to find on google so i'll tell you guys what site to go to. Go to xtremeconsole.com and sign up for an account to access their download sections.

When you first start Phoenix up it will most likely ask for a bunch of dlls, google those, they are easy to find.

EDIT: I think you can also do nes roms this way to just select nes from the list and then in the folder there is a file called NESL.dol. Im not sure if that is just the emulator or the emulator + rom. Somebody confirm this please.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  13. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

yeah i got the pheonix program but when i run it nothin happens does my viper need to b connected with my pc 4 it to work?

14. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

You do not need your Viper GC connected to the computer for this to work. When you say nothing happens do you mean that the program closes when you start it up?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  15. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

If it just closes right after starting up, you need

COMCTL32.OCX (http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/COMCTL32.OCX)

and

MSWINSCK.OCX (http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/MSWINSCK.OCX)

then place those two files in the Phoenix folder. Please tell me how it goes.

16. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

yeah it opens now but i get a message saying run time error 523 the data binding dll, 'vb5db.dll could not be loaded

17. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff Member

put that dll into google and the first result is a page that lets you download it :-\

anyway, it seems to be working pretty good with NES ROMs, although i've only had luck with the NESL.DOLs it creates (710KB or so).. the NESS.DOLs it makes (576kb i think) do not work for me.

I was wondering if anybody know how it does this.. it seems like it has a set DOL that contains the NES emulator and it just inserts the ROM into the DOL. I would love to make an application on OS X for that if anybody had the original DOL it is inserting the data into.

I haven't tried N64 ROMs yet, but i'm sure they work fine.

18. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

ok i got pheonix working now can someone give me a fairly straight forward step by step of how to make an image of an n64 rom i can burn to disk and use with my cube with viper fitted

19. JAYSUN33

JAYSUN33 Guest

ok i done all that was said and burnt to disk all that happend was i got a zelda master quest loading screen and a blue bar at the bottom started loading but when it got toi the end nothing happend the disk carried on spinni9n and the screen stayed as it was

20. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff Member

that most likely means the rom you tried doesn't work or is incompatible with the GC N64 emulator. Very few games work. I believe somebody already meantioned it was fine-tuned to the Zelda ROM, which means it lost compatibility with a lot of other ROMs.