1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Napster to MP3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Zoner, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Zoner

Zoner Member

I just bought a song off of Napster(a Windows Media File format) and was wondering what is the best way to convert it to Mp3? I prefer to use Freeware if I could. I'm a noobie at encoding audio!

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

3. Zoner

Zoner Member

I tried dbPowerAmp but it said wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode, is there some way to remove the encryption?

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Maybe there's a way, I don't know. Can't you burn the files to audio CD-R and rip this CD-R to mp3? Or play back through total recorder, save to .wav and encode to mp3.

I'd switch another pay-for-download service with less trouble...

5. Zoner

Zoner Member

Which service would you recommend?

6. paulhr

paulhr Guest

i have used tunespark in the past that used to be a very good converter from wma to mp3 ect. i belive it is freeware by=ut am not sure. I since formated my computer and lost many of my programs.

7. Zoner

Zoner Member

Can it handle encypted wma's?

8. paulhr

paulhr Guest

i will try and install it later tonight and try . when i used to use it there was nothing i had trouble with. if you want to email me a small song i can try it for you EDITED BY MODERATION: DON'T POST EMAIL ADRESSES IN THE FORUM! (RE-)READ THE RULES, PLEASE.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2004
  9. amelie

amelie Member

i had the same problem after downloading from napster. i had no clue they were going to be wma's. tunespark does not convert them, they are protected too well. i think its ridiculous considering we paid for the damn songs! but anyway, the only way to get them to mp3's is to use Windows Media Player to burn them onto a disc and then you can copy them to your hard drive as mp3's from the disc. i hope someone figures out a better way....