1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAS (network attatched storage)

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by katpeeler, Dec 24, 2010.

1. katpeeler

katpeeler Member

I hope Im puting this in the right area..if not will a mod move it please??

I have exhausted 2 external HD with my media and just found out about NAS boxes and kick myself for not finding out before. If you dont know they are basicly HD you connect to your home network and can share with all you computers/media centers. I use my PS3 for a media center and even with a 500g HD installed Im getting close to filling it up.
    My question is if anyone on here uses one do you recomend a brand?? I have looked around and honestly they are rather expensive..So any suggestions would be great. Looking at haveing 2TB plugged up to network and steaming large video files to PS3/computers....thanx

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I don't know much about NAS box brand names or their cost/value ratio.
    I have used old computer parts and put them in cases the size of a DVD player or PS3. I save everything to a main server in my basement and stream to a PS3, and 2 other computers in the house.
    Have you used something like PS3 media server before?

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I personally wouldn't bother with proprietary branded things.. a junker p2 or 3 will do a splendid job as a NAS .. stick drives in and install http://freenas.org/FreeNAS .. there you go.. a simple low cost solution

happy xmas :)