1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ND1300 media problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Spikkles, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Spikkles

Spikkles Member

On reading this forum, I find that I am not alone in having problems with my new NEC 1300a burner. Has anyone REAL help?. Advice such as 'throw it away and buy a proper one' may be the only option but I am looking for more. The thing works fine with CD's and plays DVDs but refuses to write them. All I get is the message "íllegal disc". I have tried re-flashing the firmware (it was already 1.08) but to no avail. I have used Philips and Fuji disks (both +R and +RW)which both appear on the media list at NEC's website. This I tried with Nero 5.5 and 6 (demo version)and some freebie software from Download.com. No luck. I could keep buying more disks until I find some that work, but I fear that I will use up any savings I might have made on buying this relatively cheap burner, and end up with a mountain of disks that will be forever blank.
    Verbatim and Ritek seem to be recommended, but I've never seen them in Holland.
    Next time I will come to this forum to do my research instead of reading the glossy magazine reviews that led me to believe that this equipment was the next best thing after sex._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Spike[/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  2. valexvo

valexvo Member

Hi,
    @ Spikkles
    don't know what problem you have , but I have a NEC1300A from about 2 weeks and till now I don't find something that I can't burn. I've burned 2 kind of no-name DVD R , some Princo DVD-R 4x, some Traxdata DVD+RW and a RICOH DVD+RW. No ideea what's wrong with yours. Original my DVD was v1.05 and I've updated to v1.08. Hope helped you.
    regards
    alex

3. star2u

star2u Member

I have the same burner with no problems. Perhaps it is just a bad burner.

I also have an ND-1100A and had a problem such as you describe. I uninstalled the updated burn software and reinstalled the old version. ND-1100A now works fine.

4. thebrett

thebrett Member

Hi Spiccles,
    Have just installed a 1300a and like you I find it burns cds and reads dvds but I cannot burn a dvd for getting illegal disk warnings.
    Where do you find the firmware updates?
    Am going out to buy some different blank disks will let you know if I find any that work.

Cheers

Brett

5. valexvo

valexvo Member

First of all download the dvdinfo tool from:
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/index.php , run it , make a snapshot of the image and send it to :
    hotline@de.neceur.com . you will receive a mail with instructions. Please note that only firmware drives can be upgraded with firmware updates.
    regards
    alex

6. Spikkles

Spikkles Member

Thank you all for the replies.I did replace the firmware even though it was already at 1.08. This from the NEC site, and also from Herrie. Having tried everything I assume this was just a bad device. I took it back to the shop and changed it for a pioneer 106. Unlike the Nec, (which was packed in shrink wrap with Nero 5.5 with a slip of paper, with a ballpoint written serial number) this came in a box with a book and lots of software (Pinnacle 3 sets).
    I have burned many DVD's and Cd's without a single problem. Sorry that I did not notify this forum that my problem was solved. It is great to see that people take the time to help each other. I hope that I can do the same for someone else. Thanks.