1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NDSL R4 SDHC 2GB/4GB Loading Screen (**NO Email posting or banned**)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by shamster, Dec 2, 2008.

1. tamara144

tamara144 Member

Hi all still not got mine working ,could someone just tell me for the r4 sdhc do you add a folder for your games to go into ,i just want to make sure b4 i start with all the firmware again...

2. Puggwash

Puggwash Member

Tamara,

Yes you do add a folder called 'Games' to the R4 SDHC.

I thought you already know this so sorry for presuming so.

Pugg.

3. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The site in my signature hosts the firmware for all the R4 cards - currently 10 as well as others, it usually has a reasonable download speed as well - good luck

4. Skined

Skined Member

I want to mention a little about what isn't really necessary to get past the "loading" screen on R4 SDHCs....

Awhile back, I was having trouble getting my R4 SDHCs to work... in the end, the solution for this issue simply hinged on two things.

1) Finding the right firmware to match the particular R4 SDHC you have (there are many different versions that look the same, or even identical, but use different firmwares).

2) Making sure the microSD card seated properly in the R4 cart. (For one of my R4s, the microSD must not have made enough contact with the copper pins inside the R4, so I had to wedge material in to get it to seat right... or use a different brand, thicker microSD)

In the end, those two things were the ONLY factors I needed to solve to get my R4s working... Now to the unneccessary factors.

There are two pieces of advice constantly repeated on this thread that I found are absolutely unnecessary in my experience. They are:

1) Using the panasonic SD formater
    2) Creating a Games directory

In both cases, neither of those pieces of advice will hurt anything... they are just unnecessary. If you are stuck on the loading screen, adding a "Games" folder will not get you past it. Now that I've got my R4s working, I have tried using them with and without a "games" folder I just put the games in root, and they work fine like that. Furthermore, I've put ROMs in randomly named folders, and they still work fine from those folders too. So... While having a games folder doesn't hurt, and may help you organize things better, it's not necessary, and won't help you get past the loading screen.

Same with the Panasonic SD formater... When I was in the process of trying to find the right firmware, I was willing to try any tip to get past "loading", so of course I only formatted with the panasonic SD formatter. But now that my R4s have the right firmware and work, I've tried them with and without this formatter. Formatting them in Windows using a FAT32 partition works just as well for me as the special formatter tool. So it makes no difference..

In short, I think it's just as important to know the tips that are UNNECESSARY, as the ones that are necessary. In my experience, both the panasonic SD formatter, and having the "Games" folder are optional and not important... If you are stuck on the loading screen, doing either of these two things won't help. Instead, you probably have one of these three problems:

1) Wrong firmware (You need to find the one made for your R4 card, this is hard since the clones look alike)
    2) microSD not seated perfectly in the R4 (maybe you just have to wiggle it, maybe you need to jam something in with it to get it to seat, either way, the microSD is not fulling seating in the R4)
    3) defective R4

Hope this helps clear up some unnecessary steps...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The panasonic formatter has stopped several issues with Micro SD cards in the past, especially Kingston cards. To be sure you should never use windows to format an SD card, 1 forum I read recently had a very basic test, how long to boot up, it took several seconds off the time against a windows formatted card, the second was games freezing, several games suffered from freezing issues but when the card was formatted correctly they went away, reformatted with windows they came back. So while it may not solve the loading issues (caused by 10+ cards using the same name)it will solve other issues and certainly does stop cards freezing.

6. Skined

Skined Member

Thanks kitty... I didn't know that. So I am probably still correct in inferring that the panasonic SD formatter probably won't affect the stuck on "loading" issue.... HOWEVER, there are many other good reasons you still might want to use the panasonic SD formatter... k :)

7. llm

llm Guest

I purchased a R4 Pro with Transcend 4GB before christmas for my kids.

I have reformatted using Panasonic formatter and downloaded Rar file ver. 1.5 for R4 Pro

I get passed the loading page all the time

I now get stuck with this info coming up: not support adapter?

I purchased the R4 Pro and adapters etc as a package from oz mod chips

PLEASE HELP, as i've been trying to fix on and off since before christmas and the kids are now getting frustrated

Cheers Nat

8. Puggwash

Puggwash Member

Nat,

Does the screen show anything else?
    How many games have you got loaded on the SD disc & can you play any of them?

Let me know as I have heard of this one before and got someone out of it.

Pugg

9. llm

llm Guest

I have worked it out, deleted everything and reloaded, then realised on the touch screen that i was using the wrong box (i was trying to get into the second one not the first)

Thanks anyway

10. Brownman1

Brownman1 Member

Can someone please help me. I bought the (R4 sdhc revolution) at the
    DealExtreme. I can not find the right software to make it to work, It stuck at the loading screen. I have tried many software but still no work. anyone out here please help me out if you know which is the right software for my R4. thanks all in advance for your responds.

11. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The website in my signature hosts all the different firmwares, unfortunately it is a case of trial and error with most R4 cards

12. brownale

brownale Member

Ok a quick question about sd cards. I had an r4 that worked with a friends sd card but not with any of mine, I bought 4 2 sandisk and 2 kingston. After 3 weeks of trying kernels and all manner of tips and tricks I gladly took a hammer to the r4. A workmate has an r4 that also works with my friends sd card but none of his own, so between us we have 8 sd cards of various makes and sizes which all work in phones, cameras etc but not in the r4's. None of these cards work in our friends r4 either with the kernel copied direct from his card. Surely we cant have 8 faulty sd cards. We've tried panasonic sd formatter and even paragon partition manager and altered the sectors per boot and sectors per cluster to match the working card but still to no avail. Is there any reason these sd cards appear to work with everything else but the r4 ? I've tried the paper down the back trick to increase pressure on the contacts, I've even marked the copper strips before inserting into the r4 so you can see if contact is being made. Short of carrying on buying sd cards till one works I'm at a loose end. Any suggestions folks ?

13. atomic22

atomic22 Member

brownale
    i dont suppose any of these sd cards you are buying are over 2g in size are they?
    the standard r4 cards do not like cards over 2g whatever the
    sellers like to write on the boxes or claim on their websites.

14. woof811

woof811 Regular member

@ brownale

it would seem that if your memory cards work in phones , cameras etc...... that they are ok and its the r4ds thats faulty .

what i mean by faulty is either you havent loaded the correct firmware for the version of r4ds you have yet as there are many versions which can be found here - http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ or it is indeed faulty and wont work .

my advice to you is instead of buying more memory cards that you dont need is forget about the r4ds and buy a more reliable flashcart ie . cyclods evolution , edge ds , m3ds real , supercard sd one or acekard .

the above flashcarts have a very good support teams , build quality and wont let you down unlike the fake r4ds being produced .

woof811.

15. tamara144

tamara144 Member

Hi Brownale,
    I have had nothing but problems with my r4 and i have decided to blow it up lol....it aint funny cause i have been so stressed with it...I have now decided to buy the cycloDS Evolution,at least i wont get stressed and lose my temper and also waste money trying to get summit to work...listen to wolf he knows what he is talking about,just cut your losses and get summit you know will work.x x x x x x

16. Jampanees

Jampanees Member

My R4 SDHC card worked fine for about a week with the firmware (1.25 www.r4sdhc.com) that was available on the website I bought it from. After that I got the "loading..." error. I use a 2gb SanDisk SD card of which I am sure is not a fake and is working.

I have tried simply every solution that is mentioned in this entire topic and I now I'm only struggling with the question if weither my R4 card is malfunctioning or the DS Lite itself.

Here's a list of all the things I've tried after I got the error (chronological order):

- I deleted the firmware and put the very same firmware on my R4, but that didn't work.

- I tried to format the SD in several different ways and every time I did this I put the firmware (of which I know works) on the card and tried it, but that didn't work either.

- I've tried alot of different types of firmwares from different sites and for other types of R4 cards(e.g. the 'normal' R4 and the R4Ultra) while formatting the card every time I put another type of firmware on it, but that failed too.

- After that I put a piece of cartboard between the SD card and the R4 reader to see if it had a connection issue, but STILL with no succes. I also opened the R4 card to check if anything 'inside' it was broken, but it all seemed fine.

- Then I tried to insert another, thicker 'DaneElec' SD card (1gb) with the working Firmware on it to see if it that was the problem.
    Again with no succes even though this card worked perfectly on my phone and on my computer!

- Now I am really getting frustrated.. this is taking alot of my free time and I really miss playing my games on the DS (even though it was 2 days)

Any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance =]

17. tamara144

tamara144 Member

Hi Japanees,
    I have a solution for you......get a nice big hammer and smash it to pieces...cause i have done everything you have and mine still dont work...i am now gonna get a cycloDS evolution as it was recommended to be the best one out there ,they are more expensive than the r4 for but it is still cheaper than buying loads of games i will hopefully be getting mine next week

18. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

I think you have exhausted all the options, put the R4 down to experiance and get something else, although the cyclods is a great card, I find Me Real, running Sakura firmware to be the best by far at the moment

19. Jampanees

Jampanees Member

@tamara 144

I don't think that'll solve anything ;p I'm just being rational.. I live in the Netherlands and over here we have the right of getting back our money within 1 week of a purchase. I'm just going to buy a (cheaper) genuine R4 with the money I get back :p. These always work fine and never have such problems. I think that's the best solution.

PS. Don't choose a name like 'tamara 144' because everyone knows: RULE 30 : There are no girls on the internet. =]

20. Jampanees

Jampanees Member