1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec 3520

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by michael36, Feb 7, 2005.

1. michael36

michael36 Member

Hi: After cruising around a bit on both these forums and the local (Toronto) computer vendor websites I think I've decided to buy a Nec 3520.

Is there any reason not to do this or a better option in the same general price range out there that I should know about? I'll tack on a sample of what's generally on offer in this market.

Can some one tell me what the 3520's firmware media of choice is?

Also is the shipped with firm ware current, or does it need to be flashed?

Are there firmware hacks for this unit that significantly improve performance? I'm new to dvd burning generally, and firmware hacks on these things are something I know nothing about.

TIA for your advice and insight.

Michael

Representative sample of DVD's on offer in Toronto:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The nec3520 is a great drive. The only thing you'd get by going with a different brand is a higher price. It's a very new drive, only been out a month or so, so its gonna come with the newest firmware. Compared to other drives, the nec is more widely supported with firmware hacks. since the only difference between the 3520 and the 3500 is slightly higher DL and RW burning speed, you can use all of the nec3500 firmware hacks for it. heres the product page:
    http://support.necsam.com/oem/cd-rom/nd3500a/

Its for the 3500, but the pertinent info, like media compatability list, are still totally valid.

3. corle1

corle1 Member

I just purchased a NEC 3520 and I keep getting the "unspecified target error" message or it will stop at 28%with no error message. I've tried the burner on 2 different laptops(IBM Thinkpad T42) with the same results. It can burn a CD but not any DVD's. I'm using Ritek 8x media and fuji 8x media. I do have a Sony burner and a NEC 2500 that have no issues burning in either environment. Any clues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks In Advance