1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC drive acting up

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ZebUK, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

It doesn't seem like I've had my burner long but I think I've burnt around 150 DVDs. I'm not sure how many a drive can burn before it dies but I've got an NEC ND3550A.

Recently I've experienced problems of some burning ok and others being picked up as blanks when I put them back in the drive although obviously it won't let me burn to them twice. I just updated the firmware from v1.05 to 1.07 and still the same things are happening.

So, I'm now thinking of buying a new burner. I've just read the sticky regarding which features a drive should have and have taken that all on board.

What I'm wondering is what would be a good drive to go for next? Can anyone recommend a good burner?

I can't seem to locate any suppliers of a decent named drive online. I live in the UK and really would like to stay with buying from within the UK.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Media-related issues such as brand/quality is the cause of 99% of DVD-related problems. Read my sig below on media issues. My 3550a is going on 2000 burns. I use the Liggy's 1.06 Bitsetting firmware.

In short, if Verbatim and genuine Taiyo-Yuden Premium don't work, and you use a reasonable recording speed, then you might be able to blame your drive.

3. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Many thanks, I'll take a look at getting some other media for the drive then.

I did wonder why my CD-Rs burn fine all the time and my DVD burns are "iffy"...

4. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

I've just flashed the drive using Liggy's 1.07 bitsetting firmware update.

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

FYI, Verbatim is on sale at OfficeMax $12.99 per 50, and $14.99 per 10 of DVD+R DLs.

6. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Thanks Dunker, I'll take a look and see how much the postage is to the UK :)

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Buy your Verbatim (Tayio Yuden) disks from SVP - little tip from a fellow UK'er :)

8. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

woohoo thanks Ripper, didn't realise they were the same! I've used SVP a lot in the past as their HQ is close to me (20 mins drive away) :D