1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nec dvd 2500a

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mattyy, Mar 28, 2004.

1. mattyy

mattyy Member

I just recently purchased the nec 2500a dvd 8x burner and have went into the pio mode to slow it down from 10 minutes to about 24 minutes burning time. I am using 4x -r from memorex and using the dvd x plat in simple mode. I know that the nec is an eight x burner for -r +r and 4-rw 4+rw. However, out of the pio mode with a -4x, it takes around 10 minutes and the movie looks like it is just a little too fast. Should I get a 4x burner or pay the big bucks and buy the 8x +-r or 4x rw??????????.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What exactly do you mean by this?

I'm not familiar with XCopy but switching to PIO to slow the burn isn't exactly the best way to do that. There may be an option to slow it down in whatever mode it has other than "simple".

If you're getting crappy results it's probably because you're using memorex media. Do yourself a favor and buy good quality media such as Ritek G04 - they can be had for around a buck apiece online.

3. buxton

buxton Regular member

Don't switch the burner to PIO mode, that is just going to make coasters out of your disks. In my opinion 8 speed burners are fine for burning Data, don't burn DVD movies at this speed, you are asking for trouble. You will find that 8 speed isn't twice as fast as 4 speed, so it's pointless, you will just end up in artifact city, it's a gimmick to be honest.

I don't fully understand what you are doing, maybe I am misreading the post, if you have 4 speed media just burn at 4 speed. It sounds like you are trying to do 8 speed on 4 speed DVD's and slowing the data rate on the IDE channel to compensate???

If you can change it, change it to a 4 speed, mine burns a full DVD in 12 mins, no need to burn any faster than that in my mind. And I would always say get a Pioneer106 they are simply the best.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  4. mattyy

mattyy Member

I am sorry about that comment but when I was burning the movie ENOUGH, lopaz looked like she was moving just a bit faster than in the original disk. Simple mode is the mode you can put the dvd x copy platinum in to burn just the movie and not the credits, menu and it does it in dolby digital format. I tried to slow the speed down to 4x from 8x on the computer. However, no type of results. I called dvd x copy and they told me to place it in the pio mode. I am trying not to pay a lot for 8x blanks . Thus I guess my best bet would be yanking the nec out of my box and replacing it with a 4x burner and not using memorex. The question is what do I replace the nec 2700a with . DVD X or 321 studios suggested liteon 411s.I am new at this game and could use wise suggestions thank you.

5. buxton

buxton Regular member

I can't think of a reason as to why the copy would be moving faster than the original other that a setting in the software, DVDX and 321 are products I haven't used.

If I were you right now....Keep the burner, use 4 speed DVD's and burn at four speed. Use DVD Decrypter (Free Software) to rip the film to your Hard Disk. Use DVD Shrink (Free Software) to compress to the correct size and then just burn the .VOB files using Nero.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that lovely!

It makes no sense to yank your drive until you've tried good media like Ritek G04. Memorex tends to be garbage and will give you crappy results.

What do you mean by this? How were you trying to do this?

I would also highly recommend ditching Xcopy, there are much better programs out there like DVD Shrink which is free. Don't worry about DVD Decrypter yet because it's an unecessary extra step. Check out these very good guides:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

7. buxton

buxton Regular member

Yeah I agree, put the drive in PIO mode is the stupidest piece of advice I have ever heard, I can't imagine what that is supposed to do, other than cause a buffer underun maybe?! The actual data that gets burned is going to be exactly the same.

I still can't think why the copy is moving fast. What happens if you copy an NTSC film and play it on a PAL DVD or the other way round if the DVD used can't cope with the different freq, I imagine a flickering image or no image. Or maybe the Memorex is (As you say) pants and the DVD can't play it proper? Remember when VHS tape used to get a damaged control track and it would play at different speeds? I assume DVD has the same type of control to alter the speed of the disk?

8. mattyy

mattyy Member

I went to the control panal, right clicked on my dvd burner which is the nec 2500a, hit properties and changed the speed from 8x to 4x. However, this did not slow the burn time down and it burned at or around 10 minutes. "Quote", lose the quotes and give some advice.

9. buxton

buxton Regular member

I am lost. The only PIO mode that I know of is the physical speed at which data is transfered to any IDE device, CD, DVD or Hard Disk by the IDE controller on the motherboard. You can do it from control panel if you goto System Properties, and right click on the IDE driver, or it can be done from BIOS.

Now this will only slow down the ammount of data that can be sent to the Burner, the burner will still burn at 4 speed or 8 speed depending on what you set it to.

So slowing the IDE speed down will just result in more chance of you getting a failed burn as the Buffer in the burning software will not be able to fill fast enough!

So unless the software you are using has a setting called PIO? I don't know as I haven't used it, I can see no reason why the help line told you to do it.

And I still can't see any reason why altering the speed of anything should make the final DVD either faster or slower than the original DVD you copied?!

Going from 8 speed to 4 speed, as I said above, will make little difference, it won't burn at half the speed, so if your DVD takes 10 mins at speed it will only take 12 or 13 mins at 4 speed. Like I said 8 speed is a gimmick, 4 speed is plenty. DO NOT burn you movies at 8 speed. Buy 4 speed DVD's and burn at 4 speed.

If the resulting DVD is still playing fast then it has to be an issue with the software. So try DVD decrypter and DVD shrink and see if that works for you.

10. happynow

happynow Guest

Buxton
    I burn movies at 8x all the time and never a problem so where's the "gimmick". PI/PO errors are just about the same at either speed.
    Secondly why use DVD Decrypter [/bold]AND DVD Shrink?
    DVD Decrypter only does half the job.
    DVD Shrink will rip/remove macrovision/remove P-UOP's and compress all in one go.

I think mattyy's disk is playing the same speed. He is just imagining it. One way to find out, play the origional and see what time it takes from start to finish. Then do the same for the copy.
    If it plays faster it will finish faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  11. buxton

buxton Regular member

Burn a full DVD at 4 speed, it takes about 12 mins, do it at 8 speed and you will be lucky if it does it anywere near 6 mins, the ones we tested at work did it in about 9 or 10 mins!! So it isn't really 8 speed, and so gimmick. You have burned DVD movies at 8 speed!!! That's cool, maybe the disks have improved, it's a couple of months since I did it and every one had artifacts on playback.

DVD Decrypter is better than shrink for ripping DVD's in my opinion, maybe I am wrong. Personally I use DVD2ONE, but Shrink is free.

I agree I think he is imagining the speed increase, I only say do it via Decrypter to see if it is the software that is the issue.

12. happynow

happynow Guest

Hi, the reason it does it at 9 or 10 mins is that the NEC for example writes in 3 zones. (z-clv) 1st zone 4x at around 22% changes into second zone 6x around the 50% area changes to zone 3 8x. So thats why the times are out.
    Other 8x drives use 2 zones and are slightly quicker. I know it doesn't sound much, 9 mins compared to 15 mins but it is when you have a lot of disks to burn.

13. hogan

hogan Regular member

Mattyy,
    Don't ditch the drive. I recieved my Nec 2500a a week or so ago. I'm using Shrink and Decrypter exclusively with no problems. I am using memorex 4x dvds. I live in a very small town, the only place to get anything is Wally World. Memorex dvds are all Wally World has and I wanted to copy NOW. No coasters in 35 burns. I haven't changed the firmware, just took it out of the box, installed, and took off.
    I hope you figure out your problem. Good luck. Hogan