1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC vs. SONY + firmware questions.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by heyclem, Feb 8, 2004.

1. heyclem

heyclem Member

Hi. I'm a newbie in DVD-burning. I just got an external Cendyne Combo Interface DVD+/-RW drive, which after I hooked up to the computer identified as a "NEC ND-1300A". I'm not familiar with the brandname and such. Everyone on this forum said that Pioneer is the best, but personally I like the Sony DRU-500UL/DRU-510UL series more. However, I also heard alot of people are having problems with Sony's DVDRW drives. I just want to know is NEC better or Sony better.

And about firmware. I'm just wondering is it good to flash them to a newer version eventhough I've no problem with the current version? Thanks.

2. antons

antons Member

If it aint broken - don't fix it!

3. deeswift

deeswift Member

Seriously, don't update the firmware. I just updated my Sony burners firmware from 1.0d to 1.0f and the burner won't burn DVD's any more. I got no help on this forum either, unfortunately. Sorry to say but I was totally ignored. I'm still stuck, I still don't know how to return the firmware to the previous version and I'm incredibly p1ssed off too because the drive is almost brand new.

4. heyclem

heyclem Member

thanks for your opinion, and i'm sorry to hear about your drive. i read from somewhere else that you can definitely flash back to a previous firmware. all you need is download the old firmware and flash your drive with it. you can go try and ask other people about it.

5. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

6. Nizzler

Nizzler Member

I have the same burner. It is compatible with almost nothing. But it works perfectly with the few programs that it does work with. I've burned over 60+ cd-r and like 10 dvd-r. Not one error or coaster yet.