Need a new DivX-player with these specs...

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jay-jay, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

I've been researching this on the net for the last 6 hours or so, but I haven't been able to find one that meets my specifications yet.

I've been using an Elta 8882 for the last 2 or 3 years or so, and for the most part it suited me just fine. Only real downer is that they aren't made to last, and the last one I've been able to get my hands on just died on me... *sob* *sob*

So now I'm searching for a DivX-player which has at least the same capabilities as that old Elta 8882.

That means it has to be able to play (and play them smoothly!):

CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    Region 2 DVD's
    MP3 (up to 320 kb/s), with an option to shuffle the tracks.
    DivX and XviD (with CBR MP3, VBR MP3, AC3 and WMA audio)
    Preferably srt subtitle support with XviD's, though that's not really essential.
    VCD, SVCD and plain MPG files.
    PACKED BITSTREAMS!!

For some reason, all the newer DivX-players can't handle XviD's with packed bitstreams anymore (picture gets jerky), so you have to unpack those with MPEG4Modifier first. This is too much of a hassle to me, plus I already have dozens of rips with packed bitstreams burned and well, which I don't really want to modify and burn again...
    Really weird, how newer players lose the ability to play certain files. Must be some real dumb-a**es making the software for those players...

Anyways, if ANYONE here knows of a player which can handle all this, please let me know. I'm really desperate for a new player soon, but it really needs to meet these specifications...

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

try this one......................
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/214560
    i bought it because it was HDMI, with mpeg4, dts, optical outputs, and does even more..... divx, sacd, vcd, svcd, mp3, and much much more, although the next model up is just as good, but only available online thru best buy !!
    HTH

3. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

Thanx! Those look really good!

I think I'll go with that first one (since I was able to find more info on that one over at VideoHelp.com), if I can find a place that ships internationally too. I'm from Europe (that's why I need it to play region 2 DVD's) and BestBuy doesn't ship to addresses outside the US. :(

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

try this link, they offer several different places to shop from...
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=9482576/
    this is the exact player i bought... but wanted the LDA 511, but it was only available online... but since you say they dont ship to you, perhaps one of these places will fix you up !! good luck

5. leedslad0

leedslad0 Member

does anyone know a dvd player of similar quality for sale in the uk? i want one that will play div x and xvid without any hitches.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

google it !! there are many region free dvd players available..... thats how i found those i posted the link earlier, plur the one i bought has those specs.... just read !

7. leedslad0

leedslad0 Member

ok mate, will do, thanks.

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

oh, one last thing.... this dvd player (mine) says it supports PAL and NTSC formats, so you should be good to go !! just providing you can get one shipped to you !!
    good luck !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2005
  9. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

I found out that the LDA-511 and the DVB418 are actually nearly the same player (where it pertains to capabilities), only major differences are the size (the LDA is slimmer) and the method of loading a CD (the LDA uses a vacuum-loader, whereas the DVB uses the more traditional CD-tray).

Thanx for all the info you've provided, I'm just about ready to order now. I only have 2 more questions:

1. I read on other forums that some people experienced problems with the audio being out of sync with the video (especially on DVD's). Did you encounter any such problems?
    2. Are you really sure that it plays Xvi'D's with Packed Bitstream? I haven't found any info anywhere on this subject, so I still don't know for sure if this player plays this or not.

Thanks again for all your help!

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

it does support divx / mpeg4
    i had asked the guy at best buy while i was having him look it up, apparently the best buy website and where he was looking gave more specs then bb itself.
    i tried it when i got home, and it works.
    the jpegs are slow to load, but this really was not meant to be a jpeg viewer... waste of electronics if you ask me. as far as the syncing, i am using a hdmi to dvi cable along with an optical cable for the sound and my sony a/v receiver as well, and have no sync problems what so ever. it did at one time lock up on me, but i just hit stop and then play and resumed normally. if it does happen again, i will return it. the tray in the 418 is a little flimsy, but i am the only one that uses it anyway, so i am careful with it. it also gives you the abililty to switch pcm to bitstream, so it should work for you as well. i saw a forum last night, (i will get it for you when i get home, as i am at work now) but it gives loads of details on this site about this plalyer (the 418) it is a year old player i think now, but none the less a good one IMO. i will get back to you with the link later tonight.

edit
    i also heard the firmware is upgradeable, but not 100% certain.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  11. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

Yes, it's definitely upgradeable.

For more info, check http://www.avsforum.com.

And I don't think you quite understand what packed bitstream is.
    It's an option that you can use when encoding video in the XviD-codec. Nowadays it's enabled standard when you download and install the XviD-codec, that's why most of the recent rips have packed bitstreams. Most of the DivX-players don't support packed bitstreams though, and this causes playback to be jerky.

The bitstream you are talking about is something else completely. Don't know much about that, only that it pertains to the outgoing audio from the DivX-player.

However, if you've played several recent XviD's on your player, then you've probably come across rips with packed bitstream. And if they all play without jerky video then this one probably supports it. Wish I could get some confirmation somewhere though...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  12. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have used g-spot to identify the codecs required to play (on the computer) certain movies, via downloads. the majority i have are divx and the rest are just avi converted to mpeg 1 & 2. i did avp and it was divx format. that avs forum has good stuff in it. anyway, hope you do find what you are looking for.