1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new printer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dayoff, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dayoff

dayoff Member

I need a new printer to do dvd covers, digital photos and printable media. I really want high quality dvd covers and digital pics to come out the best. I doubt I'll ever print on the dvd/cd's itself but would be a nice option.

I plan on keeping the mutlifunction for general purposes and want to add a new solely for the covers and pics.

Any suggestions.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't know what price range you want to stay in, but the Epson R300 is a good printer that does CD/DVD printing. I have seen prices between $150. to $200. depending if its on sale or not.

Jerry

3. dayoff

dayoff Member

After a little research I was thinking the same. I just saw the r200 @ staples for $80 after rebate. It doesn't have card slots but you think that will produce similar quality if I use it mainly for the covers.

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

I believe the R200 and R300 are the same other than the card reader and the LCD screen. These are used mainly for printing pictures directly from a camera memory card. If you don't need to do that the R200 should be fine. I have an R300 only because that's all that was available when I bought it. I ocassionally use the card slot to download pictures into my computer because it's handy for that, but I sure wouldn't pay the difference in price just for that feature.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think the R200 is the same printer without the card slots so I think it would be a good one. Check and see if the print specs are the same. If yes and you don't need the slots go with the R200.

Jerry

6. Run4two

Run4two Member

Epson rules!!! I have the older Stylus Photo 900 and love it. You can get high quality cheap priced ink cartridge replacements for Epson printers. I've had HP, Cannon, and Lexmark printers. They all suck! Go with an Epson.:)

Jim

7. dayoff

dayoff Member

Guys, Thanks for your help. I checked the r200 and they're the same quality but I will have to spend and get the r3oo. Nothing but the best reviews on it. Do I have to buy the epson ink or is the generic available for cheaper and will the quality be the same.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I know there are generic ink for it. As to difference in quality, you may have to try one batch and see if you think it is the same. I'm using an Epson C80 with generic ink and see no difference.

Jerry

9. dayoff

dayoff Member

Got it. Thanks again.

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

I use generic ink with no problems in my R300. The Epson ink is much more expensive. Meritline sometimes has sales on ink for this printer. I've ordered ink from http://www.bestpriceink.com and it was O.K. The only ink I've had a problem with was Print Rite from Fry's Electronics. The ink was O.K., but every time I wanted to print I would get a message saying that this was not genuine Epson ink and did I really want to use it. It worked O.K., but it just added an extra step to print. The other generic inks didn't do this.

11. dayoff

dayoff Member

Thanks for that info on the ink. That pretty much does it. I'm getting the r300. I might just order it today. Thanks again everyone.