1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a step by step

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Lilith09, May 10, 2004.

1. Lilith09

Lilith09 Guest

I want to switch my slave drive and make it the master and put the master into the slave. I just was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step on how to do it.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Lilith09, On the back edge of both drives where all the wires attach is a little square jumper plug that slides on and off. Next to the jumper area is a sticker with a diagram showing where to place the jumper for master or slave position. This has to be done on both drives first. May require removing the drive to see it better. Then you need to swap the big flat IDE cable/ribbon from one drive to the other. This may require swapping the actual drive locations if the cable isn't long enough to just swap the plugs. That should do it. If your system doesn't see the change, remove both drives in your device manager, re-boot and let windows re-install them. I don't think you will need the last step but you might.

Jerry

3. Lilith09

Lilith09 Guest

ok new problem, for some reason my computer is reading both my partitions as primary, and my secondary drive doesn't have a jumper to switch it to slave, any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2004
  4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If ypu are talking about partitions on a Hard Drive, The primary position on the IDE cable will still only show 1 primary drive but will give it 2 letter assignments if 2 partitions are used. I thought you were talking about 2 burner drives.(my fault). If no jumpers on the hard drives, the computer may be using cable select. In this case the primary drive is selected by the plug on the IDE cable. So switching the IDE cable plugs will switch the primary/secondary locations. It won't change partitions around.

Jerry

5. Lilith09

Lilith09 Guest

Thanx. It was all because of my second drive, the jumper to switch from master to slave was missing (old drive) but I formatted and t's all sorted out, thanx alot.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Good to see you got it working. Missing jumper will sure make the old computer think crazy. Later.

Jerry

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

On the older drivers, usually the jumper settings are on the bottom of the drive. And the jumpers are about half the size of normal jumpers.

Regards
    CoZZa