1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a VIDEO CARD for DOOM 3 and HL2 AGP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CKY_2084, Feb 1, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I need a Vid card that is AGP for playing DOOM 3 and HL2 with the settings all on high. Preferably under $200 but will go a little higher if it is worth it. ATI or NVIDIA just as long as its AGP. Also does ATI work well with AMD, because I heard AMD is for Nvidia and Intel is for ATI.

2. smcdonald

smcdonald Member

Well dude, assuming you already have a decent system with at least 1 gb of ram, you may be able to pull of high detail with an older radeon like the 9800 series. I have a 9800 pro and i had decent frame rates on doom and HL2 with high detail. if you are looking for something a little better tho, you may want to opt for the x800 pro or the geforce 6800 GT. They are about $300 but they are good for the money. The 6800 GT shines out most to me because it is the same price as the X800 pro, but it has a full 16 pixel pipelines as compared to the X800 pro's 12 pipes.

as for certain brands performing better on different CPU platforms, i think that is a myth. If ATI or nVidia do perform optimally on either AMD or INTEL systems, it is marginal for sure, in games at least. Intel usually has the edge in the professional rendering app field because those progz are written to take advantage of Hyper threading.