1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Need advice about HDD replacement and windows

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kisoroku, Mar 27, 2016.

1. kisoroku

kisoroku Member

Hello everybody!

I'm really confused as to what steps I should take with my current computer dilema. I have a laptop with a completely dead HDD. The thing that has me so confused is what to do about installing windows 7 on the new HDD. I purchased the laptop 2nd hand and I believe it is an OEM key that was placed on it. Considering the old HDD is dead I am unable to pull the old key off of it. I have another laptop which I can use, but it lacks many features I need and it is outdated. Can I utilize the 2nd laptops hdd in any fashion? Do I need to buy a new copy of windows? Would upgrading from 7 to 10 give me a new key which I could use the 2nd laptops hdd to install fresh in the 1st laptop? I really don't know where to go from here and any advice would greatly be apreciated!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

should be a label on the bottom of win7 laptop that has your key printed on it. can download an iso version of the win7 off the net that is the same as was on that laptop. depends on how old the old laptop is as whether the hard drive in it is ide or sata as the win7 laptop is most likely sata.