1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice and guidance on build

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 954specv, Aug 10, 2007.

1. 954specv

954specv Member

So I'm tired of my current computer (Dimension 3000). I threw all I could into this thing to get every bit of life out of it, but Im done. I've opted to build a new one. I already have a case, and know some of what I want, but need some advice on other aspects.

What I want out of the computer:
    I dont really use the PC for gaming, thats why I have game systems. I mostly use it for music, video, web. Every now and then I tool around with CS3 Photoshop or After Effects.

I want something that I can throw 4GB of RAM in now, but be open to upgrading later. I want to use a Socket 775 processor, probably an E6400, but want a mobo that can handle Quad should I chose to upgrade later. I'm looking for something That I can hookup dual monitors on. Finally, hard drives. I want to put three or four internals in ( 1 Raptor (SATA) for OS, the rest SATA or IDE), plus my two DVD drives.

So, given all this, what motherboard would you suggest, also what power supply? This is going to be fun!!! Thanks in advance.

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

I use a ASUS p5w dh deluxe. Lots of bells and whistles to play with but it will cost you some coin.

3. AXT

AXT Guest

How much money do you have to throw around.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, this all depends on how much you have to spend. What I usually do is simply adjust the graphics card depending on how much money is available.
    Which country are you from, so I can start providing some links?

5. AXT

AXT Guest

For a motherboard I would highly suggest a P35 since it's pretty new and supports a wide range of existing, new, and future CPU's from intel, 8gb of RAM, and other neat features. It's future prof for the next couple of years. And yes it can handle the Quad.

Something similar to this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128047

I don't know if this board has integrated graphics or not, if it doesn't then you will need to purchase a video card. The G33 board from intel do have integrated graphics, but are not as good as the P35 boards.

For dual Monitors you will need a video card anyways.

For a CPU i would go with Intel's E6750 for less than $200 bucks. The E6750 is very close in price range of the E6400, but is faster, newer and basically better than the E6400. Also it can Overclock like crazy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

you might be able to buy this CPU from other sites for cheaper, just look around on the web.

As for the power supply make sure that it has ESP12V and ATX12V. You can get Corsair's HX520W from buy.com for $100 which is an excellent power supply.

http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-520w-sli-certified-modular-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html

As for the 4 GB of RAM that you want:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/52...H4Q3mrNGQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

this puppy will do the job, just get two sets

The only bad part of building a computer is buying the OS unless you use linux if you are a college student at a major university then you can get windows for $10. Also you don't get a one year warranty that sucks anyways, but many of the part in your computer have a manufacture warranty for at least 3 years, some lifetime so remember to keep the receipt in case something breaks down.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, is the P35 proven yet?
    I like the buy.com link btw, I'll post that to more people!

7. AXT

AXT Guest

Yea the P35 is proven. Me personally would wait for the x38's from intel, but that depends on how much this person is willing to spend and wait.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, at this rate though, we'll be waiting for chipsets forever, how many must have come out now!

9. 954specv

954specv Member

I'm looking to keep it under $1000 from the point Im at now, so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't need an intense graphics card, I dont really do any gaming on my computer. Im in the US, I live in Miami, about 25 minutes from Tigerdirect!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice, that's always useful!
    So are you getting all the components from Tigerdirect?

11. 954specv

954specv Member

only if it makes sense to. The people who work there are utter morons, so I try to stay away as much as possible.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member