1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice for laptop purchase

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pmaknelho, Nov 27, 2005.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I'm interested in buying a laptop but I'm a noob when it comes to hardware. My needs:

1. I would like to be able to run multiple windows/programs
    Ex: play cards online/rip a DVD/download/listen to music at the same time.

2. I currently have cable interent, but would like to get on the net wireless. Do this mean I need some sort of wireless router set up at my house?

3. Battery life would be somewhat important.

4. Is there a way to hook it up to my TV and record shows like Tivo?
    I already own a 120GB external HDD.

I don't need:
    1. A pretty screen or powerful video card since I don't intend to play any games on it.

2. Size and weight don't matter much to me either.

Any advice, specs, or est. price would be great.
    Thanks guys

2. rooster33

rooster33 Guest

seems to me you have pretty basic needs for a laptop. there are a couple things i would recommend though.
    1. make sure you don't get a pentium 4 processor. i have made this mistake along with many others. i got a dell pentium 4 laptop and soon after i started using it, it would overheat and shutdown. this is very typical for p4 laptops, especially dell. i've seen it happen many times. get a pentium M or centrino processor (or the new AMD turion mobile). you'll be much happier
    2. get internal wireless. most newer laptops will come with this, but make sure anyway. you don't want to have to plug a wireless adaptor in just to use the internet. you will have to buy a wireless router to "broadcast" your internet all over your home. i would reccomend linksys routers for that (good name to go with and great tech support)
    you also mentioned a tivo-like system. hauppauge makes a tv tuner product that can be plugged in via usb. i haven't used this product myself, but i have an internal card made by hauppauge that i'm very pleased with. the usb one should be able to handle what you're trying to do with the software that comes with it.
    if you need anymore help, just let me know.

3. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

Ok that answer was unclear

what you need.:
    Windows XP Home/Pro what ever
    Pentium M 1.4Ghz or above.
    No AMD not very fast on laptop yet.
    40GB+ HDD at 4200RPM. You will sacrafice speed for battery life and it wont get at hot.
    512MB of RAM
    15"plus screen is very good on the eyes, make sure its LCD to.
    It is good to have firewire/usb
    Ethernet/modem connect(dial up)
    wireless 802.1g, "G" is what most routers use
    Pre N i think is the next one but there arent here yet. routers have them but if the laptop is 802.1g it will on use "g" speed
    With that recording tv shows like TiVo, get a laptop with like S-Video in and then you can hook the TV to the laptop and record of it. Or you can get a device like the Dazzle 80. But to get a good quality get FireWire, more expensive but better than USB.
    With what i said above you should get more than 2.5 hours of battery if you get what i said.
    So i go that which is basically my laptop whcih is good and it costs 1600 CDN. So choose wisely. Cost or The Craps, you choose. Sony,Gateway,Dell all good.
    So there you go, if you need more help ask me.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005