1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on parts to build a computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pmaknelho, Feb 25, 2007.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

My CPU started to smell like burning after I was trying to convert a divx file to DVD format. My CPU is 800MHZ 512MB RAM and 8-9 years old and I finially think I cooked my processor. I've done alot to keep it updated over the years-new powersource, USB 2.0 port, internal DVD burner, and upgraded RAM. I'd like to try and build my own tower, but I'm clueless on where to start. what parts would I need to build a tower that can encode different video formats ex: divx to DVD, download, burn, listen to music, watch my college webcast class and play poker all at once? I dont understand processing speed capabilities or how much RAM it would take? I dont use it for games(Keep that to 360/PS2) so I think I can recycle my tube monitor, speakers are good enough, A wireless keyboard would be nice so I could hook it up to my 100" projector and run HD-DVDs or Blue-Ray files from my CPU, if thats even possible??? Thanks for any advice. Keep in mind my budget is a 27 year old married math teacher.

This would be real nice too:
    Entertainment System/Media Center Computer

This is a computer designed to sit in the living room with the rest of your A/V gear. The idea is that it will record and serve audio and video files for replay via your existing television and stereo. The current notion is that this computer should be built in a special case that makes it look more like a stereo component, the size of which can present a challenge when it comes to getting all the necessary parts fitted.

For this system a mid-range processor will be fine, along with a generous amount of RAM. A fast Ethernet connection will facilitate sharing large files. You’ll also want a TV tuner card (or two) to get video in and out of the machine. Many of these also provide DVR functionality, often without the monthly subscription fees and DRM restrictions required by companies like Tivo. A wireless keyboard and mouse provide for couch-based use and a separate monitor may be unnecessary as your TV will fill that role.

All components should as quiet as possible since you’ll be watching/listening in the same room. For this application it makes sense to trade a little power for passively cooled parts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. steimy

steimy Active member

best place to start looking is Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com

You sound like you know your stuff as far as electronics so i will not go over every piece. But what you buy depends on what you want and what you plan to salvage from the old system.
    the one i just built a few months ago of the following. I already had the DVD drives, Monitor, & speakers

Enermax 620W power supply
    Core2Duo 2.13GHz Conroe E6400 processor
    XFX GeForce 7600GT 256 MB graphics card (PCI-E x16 )
    MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition (great for multimedia like movies due to it's on board 8.0 High Def Audio) although a specific type of speakers is required to take advantage of this. Each channel on this motherboard is split like it should be. (center & sub, L&R front, and L&R back) and each has its own plug.
    Gigabyte Poseidon mid ATX tower (great due to the tool-less design of the drive bays and PCI type slots, made it easy for installs.
    Crucial Technologies 667 RAM (dual channel)

as far as cases for a media center they do make small cases although i do not know how easy they are to work with, this was my first build.
    examples:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811190087

3. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

So I started doing a little research on how to assemble a PC on wiki and am shopping for motherboard/CPU combo. Thanks for the tigerdirect link I couldn't believe how cheap they where. kudos. I'm a little confused on the intel Viiv tech. Is that a part of Intel Core 2 Duo or something separate?

Would this be something to fit my needs? too much? too little?
    Intel 975XBX2KR & C2D E4300 OEM
    Intel 975XBX2KR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard and an Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.80GHz OEM Processor
    $355 after rebate. thanks again

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

that mobo+cpu sounds good now 1gb (or 2gb if u can afford it) and a nice video card as steimy said a 7600gt would be good enough for your needs

also u could use some old parts from ure old pc like the dvd burner and maybe the hard drive (but i would recommend u to get a sata hard drive)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  5. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

How important is having SLI on the motherboard? Is it just helpful for gamers or will it help a combo of video cards for my home theater-ex CPU Tivo or running BLue-Ray/HD-DVD to my projector. I also noticed I could upgrade the CPU to 2.13GHz for $50 is the juice worth the $$$?

Seagate SATA 320GB - $79 thanks for the tip elo I was unsure of this. Sale ends tomorrow at tigerdirect.com

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I wouldn't buy CPU/Motherboard combos. The board is usually crappy.

Here:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6300/6350
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965 S3
    Ram: 1/2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 667
    Videocard: GeForce 7600GS/GT
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 250GB or 320GB
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion
    Power Supply: Hiper 580 Watts
    And you can reuse your old burner drives and such.

Also, I tend to steer clear of TigerDirect. USE NEWEGG.COM
    way better prices and excellent shipping.

EDIT: SLI isn't very important unless you plan on using multiple monitors or are a performance hungry gamer. Even a single card will let you use two monitors as it will have dual connectins on back.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  7. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

Are there any other differences between the Intel and gigabyte mobo besides no firewire, quad 4 compatible, and $100? I just want my motherboard to be compatible 5+ years in case I want to upgrade.

@estuansis
    Did you suggest those parts cause u use them? or cause they'll fit my needs. If so, it looks to be cheaper than I first thought!!!!
    Is the Core2Duo 6300/6350 the same as E6400? cause thats all I could find. Is it worth the extra $15/20 to get the CPU with a fan? You ever use mwave.com?

Thanks for helping a noob.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

i have the cor2duo E6400 2.13GHz in mine. I overclocked it to 2.5GHz per core so i am actually running at 5GHz
    and you need the CPU fan unless you are going to buy an aftermarket one.
    The system i listed would be perfect for multimedia or gaming. If you wanted to rtecord TV and such you would have to find a good TV Tuner card. But it is also not cheap as it would cost about $1000 to get all the parts.

9. elokito

elokito Regular member

ure NOT running at 5ghz steimy so stop posting that in every thread its VERY different TWO proc at 2.5ghz than ONE at 5ghz or TWO at 5ghz

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I recommend because I use some of them and for the fact that they are very high quality. They will do all you need and more.

The e6400 will be fine. Just a step up in power. And I would definitely pay the extra for the one with a cooling fan.

I couldn't tell you about mwave. I've never used it. But I think you're going for free shipping? I would just as soon go with newegg quality service and pay the bit extra on shipping. Newegg will for sure replace any part that comes bad. I'm just trying to save you trouble :)

11. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I noticed that Mobo doesn't come with firewire ports. Any adivce on a firwire card to record HDTV?

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't know as I've never used firewire or ever even had a use for it.