1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need ASPI for Windows XP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pjwatkins, Jun 10, 2004.

1. pjwatkins

pjwatkins Guest

I am having problems with my system crashing on the burn. I do not have an ASPI installed. Not sure if that's the problem but need to install one for my system. Can anyone tell me where to get one for XP?

2. csaag

csaag Member

I just upgraded my system to XP and had to install ASPI drivers. I followed the instructions from this thread: (Note that I installed 4.7 then did a second install using 4.6 as this thread states)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/33849

3. pjwatkins

pjwatkins Guest

I have downloaded force ASPI and I have a guide to installation but I can't figure out what file to use to start the install. This is very confusing even with the guide! When I have the little black screen that says hit any key I tried to type install but the screen just goes away! Is there any simpler way of doing this? HELP!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In the folder for ForceASPI there should be a batch file called INSTASPI. When you double click it you'll get the black screen asking you to press any key just as you observed. There's no need to type anything, the install occurs as soon as you double click the batch file.

Here's a utility called ASPICHK to verify the installation :)

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

for ForceASPI, just download, unzip, browse unzip files, the double click "instaspi". You should see a black screen, and it will go away, then reboot. Download Adaptec v4.71.2 .. and unzip it. Don't install it. This comes with aspichk. will be located C:adaptec\aspi\aspichk If you click it all dll's will say 4.60

6. flip218

pjwatkins,

I don't know if I read too many threads about systems crashing and needing an aspi update. What is your system specs? Processor, ram, HD, free HD space?

7. pjwatkins

pjwatkins Guest

I downloaded Force ASPI...did instap where the little black box comes up...it says its installed in the little black box...when I do the check it says I have nothing intalled.I have an 800 Anthlon, 258RAM, two hard drives(C is 32 with 25 free) and (D is 80 with 57 free).I am running XP. For some reason I think it detecting NT or 2000?

8. pjwatkins

pjwatkins Guest

Sorry I have 384 Ram.

9. flip218

pjwatkins,

If you downloaded v4.71.2 try and install that one.

Installing Adapted ASPI v4.71.2

1)Click Start, then Run
    2)Click Browse, then choose Local Disk
    3)Click Adaptec, then ASPI
    4)Click Install, then Open

Will look as follows:
    C:adaptecaspiinstall.bat

5)Now type xp32 at the end. Make sure you space after .bat
    C:adaptecaspiinstall.bat xp32

6)Click Ok, reboot. Now run aspichk. Should look as follows:

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
    WOWPOST.EXE Not Installed
    WINASPI.DLL Not Installed
    WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

10. Nephilim

Shouldn't WOWPOST and WINASPI.DLL should be 4.60 after the Adaptec 4.71.2 install? It's always done it that way for me.

11. john179

john179 Active member

The simple way is if you have Nero installed paste and copy the aspi file from nero to system 32 file this will sort your problem.Just click in the nero folder in your programes and root it out which will take 1 min.If you do not have nero down load the file from nero web site as it works a treat.

12. flip218

Nephilim,

According to the "readme" file, it says XP only needs those two, and has specific instructions to install into XP. I really don't know if having WOWPOST and WINASPI.DLL be 4.60 hurts anything.

From "README" file:
    I. Operating System ASPI Files Installed
    ========================================================
    Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 wnaspi32.dll, aspi32.sys
    winaspi.dll, wowpost.exe

Microsoft Windows 2000 wnaspi32.dll, aspi32.sys
    winaspi.dll, wowpost.exe

Microsoft Windows 98 wnaspi32.dll, apix.vxd

Microsoft Windows Me wnaspi32.dll, apix.vxd

Microsoft Windows XP wnaspi32.dll, aspi32.sys

II. Changes Between v 4.60 and v 4.71
    =======================================================
    1) It is important the following pairs of files have matching version numbers:
    (you may not have all of these files; which files you have in your PC depends
    on which Windows platform is in your PC)

a) wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys
    b) wnaspi32.dll and apix.vxd
    c) winaspi.dll and wowpost.exe

[bold]It is not important, for example, for wnaspi32.dll to have matching version
    number with winaspi.dll. Disregard any such error message from aspichk.exe.[/bold]
    Also disregard any error message from aspichk.exe regarding files not present

But I guess this says it all.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  13. Nephilim

Very, true flip :) I read that the two 4.60 entries get put in there for enhanced compatibility or something of that sort, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it, eh?

14. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Here is the link to the ASPI utility for WIN XP which also has the ASPI chk tool within it.
    http://adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor...em/Microsoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_v471.exe

Copy and paste these instructions to notepad and print them, since you'll have to reboot to complete the installation.

In advance, I aplogize if my instructions seem elementary, not all are pc savvy.

First click on the link above and download the file to the default location which will be the root of the local disk. Here is the path, depending on your drive letter, may be "c" or "d". If it is local disk d then replace the c with the d.

C:\adaptec\aspi or D:\adaptec\aspi

Now go to windows explorer, by right clicking the windows start button and left clicking explore.

Look for the adaptec folder

Double Click on the adaptec folder, and to the right, in the split window, you'll see the aspi folder, now double click it. Now you will see a multitude of files.

Look for the "aspiinst" icon and double click it. Follow the instructions.

DOnt worry that it doesn't mention anything about ASPI for WIN XP, its OK.. DONT WORRY it will work.. 4 SHO..

Once rebooted go back to the aspi folder and look for the "aspichk" icon, this is the ASPI check.

Here are the instructions to get to the folder
    Double Click on the adaptec folder, you'll see the aspi folder, now double click it.

At the bottom in very light letters you will either see ASPI is installed and fully operational, which is what you want or ASPI error or ASPI is not functional or.. you get the point.
    At any regard, you'll want the ASPI to be installed and fully operational.
    GOOD LUCK & hope this helps..... 321sucker