1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Need GDR-8162B firmware

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by takochako, Sep 20, 2018.

1. takochako

takochako Newbie

I just bought a HL-DL-ST/DVD-ROM GDR8162B drive, and it's firmware version is 0017. I think the firmware version is severely affecting the speed at which I can dump Wii games. Does anyone know where I could find other firmware for this drive? I tried RPC1.org but it turns out it's been shut down. If anyone knows where I could find different firmware versions that would be great, since I'm only able to dump at 950 MB/H right now.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

absolutely nothing about this drive or its drivers has anything to do with the speed you dump wii games.and what do you mean by dump??do you mean burn to cd/dvd?

3. takochako

takochako Newbie

Dumping Wii games is essentially the same as ripping music or movies from a DVD, but since Windows can't read Wii discs it dumps the data stored in the cache of the DVD drive (I think). This is very specific to certain drive models and the firmware absolutely affects the speed at which you can dump games, since you aren't supposed to be able to dump them in the first place, and some firmware versions reduce or remove the ability to dump Wii games from these drives. The GDR-8162B with firmware version 0015 should be able to dump games at around 2600 MB/H, but mine has only ever topped out at 1050 MB/H.

I managed to find some firmware/flashers by checking out The Dangerous Brothers' page on RPC1.org and downloaded them, but it looks like they only work in DOS. I tried running them in FreeDOS (the firmware is shipped as an executable with the flasher and the firmware combined) but it tells me that it can't find the drive. I'm 100% certain that I have the correct firmware installers, but I don't know if there's something special I'm supposed to do to get the drives detected in FreeDOS. I am using an IDE to USB converter with an external power supply, but I don't know if that would affect anything.

EDIT: Also, firmware and drivers are very different things. You don't flash drivers onto a device, they only allow it to work with the OS. Firmware needs to be flashed onto the device itself, and allows the device to work overall.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

5. takochako

takochako Newbie

Thanks, I had already found that but I can't get it to work. Do you know if you can flash the firmware over a USB to IDE cable or does it only work with a normal IDE cable?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

you got me there.this is out of my knowledge base.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi aldan, been a while buddy…. Got me too. My knowledge base is a pocket dictionary and a set of 1946 encyclopedias’ that my grandma gave me when I started the first grade!

2oG

aldan likes this.
  8. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,think i still have the 1964 book of knowledge around somewhere.lol

9. dk0dave

dk0dave Member

would be easier if you softmod your wii. then download game from wii to pc.
    also you need a direct connect to ide ...find a pc that uses ide and sata

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  10. takochako

takochako Newbie

I’ve already softmodded my Wii, but it’s very slow (takes 5-10 hours per game). I tried flashing it over IDE with a Dell pc that shipped with Windows XP but it just had a bunch of opcode errors. I was using FreeDOS so I don’t know if that was affecting anything.

11. dk0dave

dk0dave Member

try using friidump or rawdump. I dont think dos can read structure ... I know wii is slow on upload but not that slow..
    maybe your connection ... forward the ftp port on router and firewall aswell could be lagging

12. takochako

takochako Newbie

The download when I dump with the Wii is around 150 kb/S even though the connection isn't too bad (around 40 mbps). I used Rawdump but it kept messing up, so I moved to friidump which can dump the games successfully, but it takes 4-5 hours. I was thinking the problem would be with the firmware (version 0017) because it's drastically slower than drives with version 0015 or 0018 on them. And I thought you have to use DOS to flash TDB firmware, but I could be wrong. I'll scavenge for a 32-bit PC later. BTW, I got the flashers to run on two 64-bit PCs, but they couldn't detect the drive.