1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help ASAP! Computer not booting...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hockeyfan, May 21, 2007.

1. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

So I was out of town over a month ago and come back home to find that my Dell Precision Workstation 530 MT Series wont load windows. It goes through the loading process with the windows logo, and the little bar loading, but it always takes me back to the black page that says "We apoloigize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this" then shortly after the 30 seconds is up to choose whether I want to "start windows normally", "start in safe mode" and those other options a blue screen pops up for a split second and then it goes through the whole process again.

When I try to boot windows from the CD it takes me to the Windows setup and I think everything is going ok when it says "Setup is loading files(Windows Executive)...but shortly after that I get "File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7" and below that it says "Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit" and then it goes through that whole rebooting on its own process. I am not very good with computers, but I read that is you reset your BIOS that might help or it might be a RAM problem. I followed the instructions taking out each RAM stick and starting the comp because they said it could also be a RAM problem, but when I take out each stick and start up to see if one is faulty nothing comes up on the screen. How would I reset my BIOS on this particular system? Please help! If you need specs or anything I will do my best to try and get them for you. HELP!

2. onya

onya Guest

3. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Thank you so much! I will definitely check that thread out. :)

4. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Well everything seems to be working as far as hardware is concerned, so I wanna say its software. Could you tell me how to set my BIOS back to default?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use the cmos jumper to set cmos back to defaults or remove battery for a minute. remove external powercord before doing either options.

6. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Thanks for the info, but whats a cmos? This is a desktop, so I take it, it doesnt have a battery?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

all desktops/towers have cmos & battery in them. the cmos holds the information that is changeable as in size & type of hd, type of rom drive, time & date besides other stuff. the battery provides power to the cmos & to the clock to give you the correct time & date. check your user guide for cmos & cmos jumper.