1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help backing up need for speed underground 2

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by JRipper7, Nov 27, 2004.

1. peterv

peterv Member

Isn't The Sims 2 using SecureRom? I thought BWA files were useful for all (many?) protections.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly Sims2 uses the latest SafeDisc - 3.20.022. You can scan it with A-Ray Scanner to confirm this:

http://www.aray-software.com/

Do you have the CD or DVD version?

3. jdough

jdough Member

Hi,

I have a couple friends that I game with and we always make a backup of our games. Until now we have not had a backup not work. This is what we do. I have installed a program called anydvd (usually $20-$40) which as you can tell by the name is a program that emulates a RPC1 dvd drive... it also removes dss off of DVD's and CD's. This program running in combination with Clone CD (which is an excelent cd copying program) seems to work just fine. Open Clone and do disc copy selecting game cd option. DONT USE COPY ON THE FLY! Create a cut/cue sheet and either delete after successful write or you can use this cut sheet to make multiple copies. I have used it for halo, NFS 1 & 2, etc. etc. Enjoy.

4. peterv

peterv Member

I have the CD version. I have tried many things and still unable to get a working copy so far.
    Should it work pretty easily with CloneCD or Blindwrite....does anyone know for sure?
    Thanks

5. Nephilim

@ peterv

What make/model drive(s) are you using to back it up?

6. peterv

peterv Member

NEC ND-2510a
    LiteOn SOHW-832S

The LiteOn seems to generally be the better drive for things, tho I have tried both.

7. Nephilim

Your best bet is going to be the Lite-On 832 - they've a good track record at backing up games.

I don't use CloneCD but I've managed to make working copies of SD 3.20.022 games using both Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite 4.57. Just remember to keep the read and write speeds to 4X with A120 or use the following settings for BW 4.57:

Read settings:
    - Authorize the use of alternative method
    - Choose nibble and read at 8x

Write settings:

- No Enhance Weak Sectors
    - No autoplay enabled
    - Burn DAO Pw at 4x

SD 3.20.022 can be a real booger when trying to get a working copy. I normally use my Lite-On 166S to read the images but had to use my Plextor Premium to get an accurate image with this one which is the first time I've had to do that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  8. grandb

grandb Member

So let me get this straight:
    The person owns a LEGAL copy of the game (which I do as well, thus the reason I found these postings).
    He wand's to make a backup copy of his legal game.

This forum does not support the discussion of piracy, which is "illegal". Even though he owns the legal game.
    The forum then suggests they censor the discussion (ya gotta love censorship). But then encourages the user to backup the game using other software, which, is an illegal act by the DCMA.
    So....what exactly do you support here?

1. Censorship
    2. Pirating
    3. Illegal copying of his legal game
    4. Freedom of speach

Kinda presents a conundrum doesn't it. Half the reason these cracks are available is because of folks like me, who shelled out the money to buy the game, then discover they can't even back it up! Give me a break.

Pirate away. I will crack it, cheat it, or whatever it takes for me to get my own backup copy. Even though, it's "illegal".

9. Nephilim

Backing up your purchased media is legal under Fair Use laws. There's nothing wrong with protecting your investment and the DMCA doesn't cover that aspect anyway. What the DMCA does cover is the circumvention of copy protections which is why all of the paid-for DVD copying software comes without a ripper and the apps that do contain rippers are either freeware or based in other countries exempt from such laws. There are many gray areas though.

If you carefully follow the warnings I've given in this thread and others you'll notice that our site doesn't support or discuss cracks which are considered reverse engineering and thus run afoul of DMCA. We also don't support direct linking to pirated material. If a person is already in possession of material whether pirated or not they can get help here with the exception of cracks. It's fairly simple when given proper consideration.

10. grandb

grandb Member

I believe, though I may be mistaken, that there is a provision in the law that states you cannot utilize a utility that bypasses the encryption. Which, is what is taking place here, no?

My point more so is that, the user wants to fully use his own legal copy of his program. I personally take issue with EA for this.
    Several years ago I had purchased age of empires from Microsoft. The game CD would not back up. Later it got broke as I had put it into my CD drive.
    I called microsoft, and for $20.00 dollars they would ship me new media. Almost as much for me to go buy it again at the store.
    In their defense, when I complained that there was no way for me to make a backup of my own game, they did send it for free.

If my posting came across as brash, I'm more peaved with the industry then anything. I am a little suprised that you censor the newsgroup though. With that, I won't be posting any longer ;-)
    Thanks...

11. Nephilim

You're not the only one peeved at the industry - we all are.

As I mentioned earlier there's definitely a provision in the law that states circumventing copy protection is a huge no-no. The media industry dearly wanted to make any sort of duplication illegal but it was an unrealistic goal given Fair Use provisions so they did the next best thing by making circumventing protections illegal.

The thing folks must understand is that if AfterDawn allowed a free for all with links to pirated material, cracks and so forth we run the very real risk of being shut down. There's no doubt in any of our minds that our site is regularly monitored by those that would have us shut down so we need to play it safe.

I sure hope that you're not serious about leaving because we enjoy seeing new faces stick around.